Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Flats versus Prefolds, what doyou like?

So I have been contemplating for a while about switching from my prefolds to flats. I have 2 boys, 20 months and 5 months. The 20 month old likes to hold his pee and supersoak all at once, and the 5 month old is and average pee er. I just hate the bulky prefolds sometimes. I want trim but absorbent, is that possible with a flat and no doubler? What do you like about flats, if you are a prefold family, convince me to stick to my prefolds. Just want to know what others think before deciding. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats versus Prefolds, what doyou like?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
b bright
Registered Users
seller

I use flats on my twin 11 month boys and have never used prefolds so i don't know if i would like them better or not, but I love all the different folds you can do with flats. You want it trim in the back, I just saw a new fold in a thread. Super trim looking. The kite fold is pretty trim too. There's a tutorial on here for a kite fold with jelly roll that's awesome! I myself like the origami fold. It's very absorbent because all of the layers are right in the middle, but it also makes it a tad bit bulkier. For absorbency without doublers, i would suggest using flannel or receiving blankets or some people use hemp and all that.....i use a mixture of blankets and flour sack towels...I just grab one or the other though.

Either way you choose, don't give up all your prefolds just yet. Buy a few flats and see how you like them before giving them all up!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I would say just get 12 flats - they're cheap - and try them out yourself before you decide.

I personally prefer my prefolds over my flats but a lot of people prefer flats. it really is just what you personally like.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I know alot of mamas on here talk about how absorbent flats are but to me, they arn't at all I bought Little Lion flats on fsot and tried them on my then 18 month old and she peed through it like she wasn't even wearing a diaper. I've heard of people using 2 flats per toddler but I didn't try that. Even so, why would I need to double on a diaper? kinda defeats the purpose. I would personally stick with the prefolds. Or just find a few on fsot to try first before selling your stash and see which you like best. GOODLUCK
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
nature chic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both! I like to use flats for travel and when I feel like getting a nice trim fit for under jeans but I would never ditch my pf's-- but I like variety so I only bought 6 flats
Married to my best friend since 95-- Mommy of DS #1Avery 9/00, DD #1 Natalie 12/02, DD #2 Emma 3/04 via stork from Korea in 05 and DS#2 Alan 11/10--new to CD'ing and open to input--Not ashamed of Jesus, my Savior.
nature chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
ellbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have all flats right now but I have some prefolds on the way. The flats are awesome and super absorbant (the longer you have them - as long as it is a large flat) -- I don't need to use doublers except at night. But I have girls in diapers now - not sure if it would be different with boys...when I first got them, I put them away for awhile because I thought they weren't absorbent enough and I did not want to double diaper - however, they just got more and more absorbent with use. I picked up some prefolds because my hubby always asks me to put the flat on and I wanted him to be able to do it himself. He can handle a prefold...he won't even attempt a flat though!