Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: extremely frustrated...after switching to Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbmam08 View Post
Sounds about like mine. I do the rinse and spin first...which cycle do you select to do the rinse and spin on? I usually have been selecting delicates to do that, but it won't let me add water plus...I don't remember if the handwashing one did, but I am thinking using that would make my diaper load heavier anyway by not spinning as much, so when I do the wash part it would add more water?

For the pre-wash part, I have usually been adding a scoop of oxiclean vers. and then detergent for the reg wash part, if I use detergent, how much would you say is a "little bit" maybe half way to the 1 line? or half of that even? Maybe skip the oxi for now?
On my washer the water plus button wont' work with the delicate cycle but it WILL work with the cotton wash cycle. I use my rinse and spin on cotton with water plus. It makes it a 36 minute rinse. I do a medium spin and then when its all done I do another rinse and spin for a minute, then stop it and start my regular wash cycle just to add water to the diapers and make the washing machine think its at its heaviest load.

I usually take my scoop and fill it with tide almost to the bottom 1 line. Then I pour maybe 1/4 of that in the prewash. (that is what the manual says to do, use 1/4) Then I pour the rest in the detergent compartment. I have used oxi before and I pour the scoop of oxi right in with the detergent. (again what the manual says to do)

Another wash routine I have had a LOT of success with but I just don't like using bleach is to do the rinse and spin with 1 TBSP of bleach without my covers or pockets, then put the covers and pockets in with my regular hot/cold wash with detergent in the detergent slot and vinegar in the fabric softener slot. (vinegar helps rinse out the bleach) After the wash cycle I rinse again with rinse and spin and there is NO bleach smell.

I understand being scared of bleach,oxi, and vinegar, you are right there is a LOT of conflicting info.

Advertisement

ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by todzwife View Post
I'm wondering if you don't have enough agitation to get them clean using the delicate cycle.

I use the towels/sheets cycle on mine because it adds more water...
I use the bulky bedding cycle to get the most water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post

Another wash routine I have had a LOT of success with but I just don't like using bleach is to do the rinse and spin with 1 TBSP of bleach without my covers or pockets, then put the covers and pockets in with my regular hot/cold wash with detergent in the detergent slot and vinegar in the fabric softener slot. (vinegar helps rinse out the bleach) After the wash cycle I rinse again with rinse and spin and there is NO bleach smell.

I understand being scared of bleach,oxi, and vinegar, you are right there is a LOT of conflicting info.
I agree with the bleach.

Mama - if it is ammonia smell - your diapers aren't getting clean enough. I use bleach on my inserts, wash, and then add my other diapers. It is the only thing that has kicked my ammonia. I've tried EVERYTHING in over 4 years of cloth.

I HATE bleach in general, but I love that my babies aren't getting burned by the ammonia.

Last edited by fish3737; 05-18-2011 at 11:00 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do a regular wash, not delicate, and add baking soda to the wash, and vinegar in the rinse
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #24
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree that the delicate cycle is probably not enough. I think a good stripping and a couple washes on a long, heavier cycle will do wonders!

Btw, with Tide, if you rinse till you see NO bubbles, you'll drive yourself crazy! I use Tide and always do an extra rinse but there are always *some* bubbles. I just check my dipes by smell when they come out and watch for any signs of rash on DD (she is SUPER sensitive). With Tide Ultra, I do about 3/4 of the way up to line 1. So far, so good!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #25
Katylynn2000
Registered Users
seller

If you use homemade detergent or your actual clothes then it could be leaving a wax residue in the machine, too.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
WalkintheRain
Registered Users
seller

I have the same problem with my fuzzi bunz anytime I use tide(or any other mainstream detergent) regardless of how I tweak my wash routine. To get rid of the stink I just soak in warm water with whatever "mama made" detergent I have on hand for a few hours-overnight and follow with an extra rinse. My normal wash routine is: cold rinse, warm or cold wash with 2-4T detergent(currently Alioop Baby Be Clean $6/bag), cold rinse. My diapers are always clean and stink free. My husband has even insisted on using my diaper detergents now and won't touch the mainstream ones.
WalkintheRain is offline   Reply With Quote