Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What are your thoughts on Brighteners/buildup in detergents causing leaking?

I have been up to my eyeballs in detergent research and I have come across SO much conflicting info.

One of the things I keep coming across is how brighteners can cause your covers or pockets to leak or wick. I have a few covers that have started leaking/wicking at the legs and I thought it was because they were old but now I wonder if its because I have been using a detergent with brighteners. (Tide)

Unfortunately, it looks like practically every easy to find locally detergent has brighteners.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

Last edited by ReadingRenee; 05-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are your thoughts on Brighteners in detergents?

I've been using tide for 2 years on covers, pockets and AIOs. Some diapers have just plain worn out, but otherwise they are fine.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Meh, I don't put much stock in that detergent list. We've used all sorts of detergents but exclusively Tide for over a year and no repelling. It could be buildup though so a good strip might help.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, been washing in Tide from day 1 and have had zero repelling/leaking issues. I think it's a bunch of BS made up by "CD safe" detergent manufacturers perpetuated by by the CD manufacturers (many of whom SELL these "CD safe" detergents) because none of them can profit off people washing diapers in Tide. Scare tactics. Nothing more.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I don't think diapers start leaking just because they're old, unless the seams are literally coming apart? I'd go ahead and strip.

I also don't think having to strip once in a while is that bad if the routine/detergent is working otherwise...
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your thoughts!

I decided to strip the last load of dipes I washed with the few covers that were in that load. Oh. my. Gosh. The SUDS!!! I had to do two hot full cycles before they calmed down. And I double rinsed that last load too. I think I have build up.

For those of you who do have to strip how often do you think I should strip? I really hate finding out that I need to strip the hard way. (ie go out to dinner and dd's pants are soaked with pee when MIL tries to pick her up. )
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Today I took most of my covers and threw them in the wash all by themselves for a hot wash cycle.

I can't believe how many suds there are from COVERS! Holy build up batman! How do I avoid this in the future? I am thinking of finding a non residue detergent and washing my covers separately or something.

So I don't know if it is the brighteners necessarily but I definitely had build up in my covers.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Lilybugsmama
Registered Users
Formerly: bmwa****
seller

Re: What are your thoughts on Brighteners/buildup in detergents causing leaking?

I'm pretty sure that using All Free & Clear ruined an entire stash of my AIO diapers. I thought since it was "free and clear" it would be fine to use, but since that time I have read about the brighteners in All F&C causing leaking problems. I had used a different free and clear detergent for nearly 2 years on the same brand of size large AIO diapers with NO leaking or PUL problems. Then 6 months into using the size mediums and washing with All F&C, every one of them was leaking straight through. I can't be sure that the detergent was the problem (and I know others use it without issues), but I couldn't figure out what else it would be. I tried drying on high to re-seal the PUL and I tried stripping, but I don't think I had a build-up problem. Just wanted to throw that out there because I was devastated to lose all of those expensive AIOs! Anyone else have similar problems?