Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Less Washing for Less Dirty Diapers?

Firstly, Dd is almost 8 months and we use pockets with a few flips and bg aios in the mix. My normal wash routine for a large load includes a cold wash, hot wash, and cold rinse with a tablespoon of homemade detergent (borax, washing soda, oxyclean). And my landlord pays the water bill so washing 3 times isn't an issue.

We EC and dd never poops in a diaper. Ever. She goes in her bbsp every morning like clockwork. I haven't changed a poopy diaper in months.

So my question-- we are moving next week across the country and our new apartment has a communal laundry room and we have to pay per load. Since the diapers aren't gross could I wash less? Has anyone done pee diapers with just a wash/ rinse combo? Would that be gross?

Advertisement

LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Mrs.Willis
Registered Users

It's very possible. What I would do it get a bucket or use my tub for the first soak (I've always used baking soda for this since I had Ammonia probs in 2006) then tote then down to the laundry for a regular cycle.

Assuming that you have a clean rinsing detergent that should be enough.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum
Mrs.Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
rachelandtyke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Less Washing for Less Dirty Diapers?

I think it could work, but will also depend on how long you go between washes.
rachelandtyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks, mamas. I will definitely be trying a tub soak before a wash. Lots of experiments await me in Phoenix.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
LaurelBelle
Curator of Newborn Diaper Forum Reference Sticky
seller

If you don't have poo dipes, I wouldn't think you need a pre-rinse, since that's really to prevent stains. I never do a second rinse, anyway. You could probably do fine with one hot wash/rinse and an occasional extra rinse if you get buildup ( IMHO)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
hanhtam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have pee diapers. I always rinse the diapers in the sink first before I throw them in for wash. I wash in heavy cycle with soap and another full heavy cycle with no soap to rinse. I have a front loader so I have keep adding water every time the washer fill in water, otherwise I don't get my diapers rinse well enough.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have no idea if they still exist.. But before we owned our own washer dryer and used coin laundry.. Our local Mat still had those big industial front loaders NOT the energy saving ones but the ones you can stick like Calafornia kig sized comforters in.. Anyways a full cycle gave option to do a prewash /wash/rinse/second rinse it was like $3 a load or something like that (VS $1.50 for regular machines) and the cycle too like over an hour so so but I could easily wash 4-5 days worth of laundry in one round and let the machine handle it all.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've wondered the same thing for the days we don't have poopies... I can't imagine why it wouldn't be okay... but haven't tried it yet...
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 3 month old only poops about once a week, so most of my loads are pee-only. I don't do a pre-rinse for pee diapers. Just a hot wash with extra rinse. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry to get them done, I don't even do the extra rinse (I just make sure I do it the next time I wash). I've never had a problem with this routine.

If I were you, I'd see if I could get away with just one hot wash. If they start to stink, add an extra wash or rinse every few washes until you get to where they stop smelling (you may have to do it every time, every other time, every three washes, etc.)
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote