Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
cotton09
Registered Users
Formerly: cotton_all_the_way
seller

co sleeping with 6 month old

hello all,

i have been sleeping with my son since he was born and I have always had difficulty with my arm. hehe I never knew where to put it. This problem has come back recently. I bf during the night and thus have my arm over his head. I fall asleep like that. However, recently I have been waking up with my hand "pressing" against the top of his head. Not ON his head/face, just as if I wanted to put my hand down and was stopped by his head. OR he moved up, as he kicks now more then ever.

I worry about this, I don't want to hurt him. I don't know how long I am in that position before I wake up.

Please help!

Advertisement

cotton09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: co sleeping with 6 month old

At six months old, I would think he'd wake up if he were being hurt. It might feel comforting to him, having your hand so close!

I might be picturing it all wrong, but it doesn't like anything to worry about to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
cotton09
Registered Users
Formerly: cotton_all_the_way
seller

well he starts making squirming and that is why I wake up
cotton09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
dragonfly263544
Registered Users
seller

How do you sleep? Side by side or a different way? Swaddled or unswaddled? Do you have a sidecar arrangement or just straight bedsharing?

I have coslept with both of mine the oldest moved into her own room at 2.5. I often had problems with my arms falling aslepp since both of my kids liked to sleep in the crook of my arm as newborns. I also encouraged this because I felt like it kept them in the proper spot better. I would think though that at 6 months old unless you are still swaddling, you would be pretty good just to sleep side by side. Mine will be 5 months in 3 days and she just sleeps beside me. She sleeps on her belly normally with her head turned away. Normally, by this age, I feel that the baby can move around enough so that your hand really wouldn't be an issue. We still keep the blankets at diaper level and no pillows. He would probably just turn his head the other way.

Also, I have found that both of my kids liked to have my arm/hand against the top of their head while sleeping

I work from home with tutor.com! PM me if you're interested in a great job to make some extra money!

I made $600 last month writing and editing with CloudCrowd. Pays every next business day!
dragonfly263544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
cupnkey
Registered Users

My 5.5 month old still sleeps in the crook of my arm and I haven't had any issues with my arm falling asleep. But when sleeping with my DH, she'd rather be on his broader chest. She sometimes ends up on top of me too.
cupnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
kristen0685
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I co-sleep with my squirmy 4 month old. I lay on my side and put his head at about my chest area and put my arm I'm laying on out making a triangle shape (with my hand under my head) above his head. I haven't had any problems with hurting him. I'm with mama.timms to though, if he was hurting, he would definitely let you know!
kristen0685 is offline   Reply With Quote