Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
S4r4h
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
Here's what we did in a similar situation...

My DD, after a long and horrific battle over PLing, started wanting to poop in her pants again. She, like your son, KNEW she had to go, and would tell me after she had gone, and smirk, thinking it was funny.

The first few times she did it, I tried very hard not to let her see how frustrated I was, and, like you, I just cleaned it up, didn't say anything and sent her on her way. But she just kept doing it.

Finally, when I'd had it - I could see she KNEW full well what she was doing - I very serious-faced, took her out in the (full privacy fenced) back yard and told her that from now on, when she poops on herself, I will have to hose her off to get her clean b/c poop is nasty and I don't want it in the bathtub, that it should ONLY go in the toilet. (It was summertime, and NOT cold at all - we're in FL like you, so you get how hot it was - this wasn't by any means like the insane lady doing the cold shower treatment). I was super serious about it. I had her take off her pants and I hosed her off, after which she had to go inside and clean herself off and get dressed again.

We did that twice and she never, ever has ever pooped herself again and it's been almost a year now.

There was no yelling, no anger, no belittling, I just simply said, "well, I wish you wouldn't poop in your pants. When you do that and I clean you up, poop gets in the bathtub. I can't keep getting poop in the bathtub, the bathtub needs to stay clean, since that's where we take a bath. So we're going to have to hose you off outside. I'm sorry honey, but poop belongs in the toilet ONLY. Let's go get you cleaned up." At first she laughed and looked at me like it sounded like fun. Then she saw my serious face and she started crying. I just told her that I was so sorry she made the choice to poop in her pants, and that this was the consequence for that, and that I hoped next time she would make a better choice.

Anyway, I don't know if it would work for you, but it did work for us.
I lol'd at this - my brothers and I got hosed off all the time for all sorts of things when we were little.

Advertisement

Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toilet Learning help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Here's what we did in a similar situation...

My DD, after a long and horrific battle over PLing, started wanting to poop in her pants again. She, like your son, KNEW she had to go, and would tell me after she had gone, and smirk, thinking it was funny.

The first few times she did it, I tried very hard not to let her see how frustrated I was, and, like you, I just cleaned it up, didn't say anything and sent her on her way. But she just kept doing it.

Finally, when I'd had it - I could see she KNEW full well what she was doing - I very serious-faced, took her out in the (full privacy fenced) back yard and told her that from now on, when she poops on herself, I will have to hose her off to get her clean b/c poop is nasty and I don't want it in the bathtub, that it should ONLY go in the toilet. (It was summertime, and NOT cold at all - we're in FL like you, so you get how hot it was - this wasn't by any means like the insane lady doing the cold shower treatment). I was super serious about it. I had her take off her pants and I hosed her off, after which she had to go inside and clean herself off and get dressed again.

We did that twice and she never, ever has ever pooped herself again and it's been almost a year now.

There was no yelling, no anger, no belittling, I just simply said, "well, I wish you wouldn't poop in your pants. When you do that and I clean you up, poop gets in the bathtub. I can't keep getting poop in the bathtub, the bathtub needs to stay clean, since that's where we take a bath. So we're going to have to hose you off outside. I'm sorry honey, but poop belongs in the toilet ONLY. Let's go get you cleaned up." At first she laughed and looked at me like it sounded like fun. Then she saw my serious face and she started crying. I just told her that I was so sorry she made the choice to poop in her pants, and that this was the consequence for that, and that I hoped next time she would make a better choice.

Anyway, I don't know if it would work for you, but it did work for us.
I'm so going to try this! He'll probably think it's water play time, except it will be hosed off and back in, no pool time!

Thanks everyone for your input I AM thrilled that at least we're peeing consistently! I work full time and they won't do CD's at the school where were at so I'm tired of spending $50 a month on pull ups! Just from not using any during the day now has saved tons of money!!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I'm so going to try this! He'll probably think it's water play time, except it will be hosed off and back in, no pool time!
Initially, I thought it would totally backfire, since my kids LOVE to play in the water outside.

But I figured the worst thing that could happen was it not work and we'd move on to the next thing to try.

But, I'm telling you, it's all in the face! I had to seriously pull out the big guns and look really upset and serious and disappointed. And I had to use a tone that said, "This is a bad punishment." And she completely hated it. (Not that I'm thankful that I did something she hated, but I needed it to be a punishment, even though she usually considered it a fun activity - KWIM?)

Get your game face!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Initially, I thought it would totally backfire, since my kids LOVE to play in the water outside.

But I figured the worst thing that could happen was it not work and we'd move on to the next thing to try.

But, I'm telling you, it's all in the face! I had to seriously pull out the big guns and look really upset and serious and disappointed. And I had to use a tone that said, "This is a bad punishment." And she completely hated it. (Not that I'm thankful that I did something she hated, but I needed it to be a punishment, even though she usually considered it a fun activity - KWIM?)

Get your game face!
Apparently I had my game face today before I even broke into the hosing off routine! I came home sat him on the potty [nicely of course!]. He asked me to read some books. We read 3! After 10 minutes I said I'm making my dinner, and he could sit there and try. And what to my wondering eyes should be appear but little brown friends in toilet!!!! Hope it continues! He enjoyed his ice cream and is now running through the house happily screaming..."I POOPED IN THE POTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote