Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
S4r4h
Registered Users

I'm totally taking notes...

Advertisement

Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice needed for teaching kids responsibilty

man... you mamas are generous. I know it was 17 years ago, but I got $3 a week allowance, not tied to chores. BUT we lived on a horse farm, so I was responsible for feeding/mucking/grooming/working 3 or so horses (not totally responsible, but I had to do the work) we had a big garden, ducks, a dog, cats, every summer 2 or 3 cuttings of hay, you get it.
I was a senior in highschool and got $10/wk (most weeks dad was forgetful) but I also had a part time job. Still did my fifth of the farm chores.

I'm not sure I could keep from laughing if mine told me I was a slave driver for making her feed the dogs
Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice needed for teaching kids responsibilty

My kids are expected to help around the house with no compensation. I don't get paid, so they are not either. That being said, I will reward them periodically by doing special things with them. Like, "wow, you really helped me alot today so let's enjoy this great day and go to the park" or something like that. They are responsible for their rooms and if I go up there and find it trashed then I pack up all toys and put them away and they have to earn them back. I've had to do this a few times. They do not have set chores, but they help me on a daily basis. My almost 10 year old helps me with the baby, vaccuums, puts away laundry, sweeps, helps with garbage, whatever. My 7 year old helps by matching socks, making beds, dragging dirty laundry downstairs, general cleanup, whatever. A few times a day, I call a five minute cleanup. We all stop what we are doing and then clean up for five minutes. That really keeps the clutter at bay.

SOmetimes I turn chores into a game. I write down what needs to be done on little slips of paper and put them in a hat/box. We take turns pulling one and see who gets done quickest and most efficiently. I save this game for major cleaning days.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My girl isn't old enough for chores yet but I was reading a book for catholic mothers idk if you are catholic but it's by tami kiser. Each child gets a chore or two for daily then one or two weekly that needs done and it doesn't change often. They do get paid, but she keeps a tally of when they so their chores and when they ask for money, they get however much they earned.. But she doesn't force it necessarily and if one kid doesn't do their chores another kid can do it and earn money as well. It's not allowances but rather just teaching them a work ethic that money is earned through work.
Idk if you are catholic but I suggest it to no one no matter the religion!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am Catholic, actually! I will look up that book. You don't happen to remember the title, do you?