Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

Vinegar Bath for Eczema?

Anyone tried this? We do lots of other natural remedies for DS2's eczema but we suspect he has a grass allergy so its hard to keep him clear of it. I just heard of this last night.

Advertisement

Last edited by kjo; 05-20-2011 at 01:19 PM.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vinegar Bath for Eczema?

My DD also suffers from nasty eczema (lovely hereditary contact allergies) and reacts to being the grass as well ... but I would be leary of a vinegar bath. Have you suffered from eczema ourself? I suffer on my hands in particular, and let me tell you, working with vinegar burns like crazy! Eczema rashes inevitably lead to extreme drying and cracking.
I'd actually lean more towards an oatmeal or baking soda bath to soothe inflammation/itching and (if you're avoiding creams, though shea butter is pretty sweet) massage extra-virgin olive oil into the affected area. EVOO has incredible healing properties.

Last edited by Havah; 05-20-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Apparently I said a bad word - that's a new one ...
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
kjo
Registered Users
seller

I do have eczema myself, the idea behind it is to keep the sores from getting infected. You use a small amount of vinegar and dilute it in the bathtub. They do it daily. You aren't putting straight vinegar directly on the sores. DS has a couple of spots now that look pretty bad, I don't think this would be necessary for mild eczema but maybe for more extreme cases.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXkjo View Post
I do have eczema myself, the idea behind it is to keep the sores from getting infected. You use a small amount of vinegar and dilute it in the bathtub. They do it daily. You aren't putting straight vinegar directly on the sores. DS has a couple of spots now that look pretty bad, I don't think this would be necessary for mild eczema but maybe for more extreme cases.
Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose that could work, as long as you moisturize after ... FWIW, EVOO is antimicrobial.
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

you may wish to look into food and eczema. Gluten and Dairy are largely attached to it.

Just a thought.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
kjo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapoosmama View Post
you may wish to look into food and eczema. Gluten and Dairy are largely attached to it.

Just a thought.
Thank you, we do know that cow's milk causes problems for him. He has been on coconut milk (per our pedi) for several months now and it has gotten a little bit better. We are planning to do IgG and IgE food testing but he is still too young for it to be accurate.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXkjo

Thank you, we do know that cow's milk causes problems for him. He has been on coconut milk (per our pedi) for several months now and it has gotten a little bit better. We are planning to do IgG and IgE food testing but he is still too young for it to be accurate.
My daughter has a milk protein allergy and eczema. We use natural shea butter to moisturize as well as hydrocortisone if it gets really bad (like a sitter gives her mac and cheese). I might have to try this vinegar bath.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I put a very small amount of apple cider vinegar into my kids' bathwater on a fairly regular basis. It is very healthy and won't burn your skin diluted in the bathwater unless the skin is open. We do everything for eczema around here. Its a never-ending frustrating battle. *sigh*
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
kjo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
I put a very small amount of apple cider vinegar into my kids' bathwater on a fairly regular basis. It is very healthy and won't burn your skin diluted in the bathwater unless the skin is open. We do everything for eczema around here. Its a never-ending frustrating battle. *sigh*
Thanks! Do you eye it or do you measure? I'm not really sure how much to use...everything I read says something different. Yes, from what I've read it sounds like it has a lot of healthful properties. We also have some Candida issues at our house so I'm curious if it would help with that too.

Also, I've read people use white and apple cider vinegar for baths- why do you prefer apple cider vinegar?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
How much would you use for the bath? We just found out yesterday that a patch on DD's leg (where her diaper hits) is eczema. After less than 24 hours with the hydro-cortisone ointment, it looks MUCH better.

Thinking back, I gave DD a bath with California Baby bubble bath three nights in a row. It probably exacerbated, right?
BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote