Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Garden and compost bin questions

I've not done a search on this so if this has come up recently forgive me and possibly direct me to a thread or some info.

We just bought a house about a month ago. I'm afraid it's too late to start a garden now but I'm not sure. I live in NC. Do I still have time to plant?

Also, I want to start a bin, but I don't know what to use. What have you had luck with? It needs to be something the kids can't get into. I would like to recycle something rather than buy something new.

I would like to do something in the kitchen too. An old bucket? Anyone do this?

Trish, SAHM to Kate, Daniel and Marina
pbresolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Garden and compost bin questions

It's not too late to start a garden in NC. I haven't started mine yet. For compost we made two "boxes" out of 2"x6" wood. We don't have a lid on them, but you could put one on to keep the kids out.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

There are several plans for making compost bins out of free pallets. You could staple weed cloth to the sides to prevent little hands from entering.
Woolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
My Mood:

I used an old crib to make a compost bin (using the two sides and shortened a long rail to get close to 3'x3'x3' dimensions. I stapled chicken wire around it, and have a chickenwire 'door' that is just staked in. I just made this this season, so there is not a whole lot happening quite yet, but it looks nice! I'm no help on gardening- it's my first year doing so, and I'm in MN, so quite different climates!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Oh my, what you can use for a compost bin......the options are ENDLESS! Personally, there's a plant near us who has things shipped to them in large wood packing boxes. THen they put these on the street to be taken for free. They're perfect for composting and basically the same idea of making one from a palet. We've used a palet one before. Worked great. Right now we just have an open pile under a tree that is kinda boxed in by the fence on two sides and planting beds on two sides. Was a little wasted corner of the yard and a natural place to start piling leaves. We vermicompost (composting with worms) which is quicker than just straight compost. Well, actually, we do both. Anyways, all our kitchen scraps go to either our rabbits or the worms. Rabbit scraps (certain vegies only) go in one mason jar in the fridge until we take them to the bunnies. Vermicomposting scraps (all other kitchen scraps) go in a 2nd mason jar in the fridge. When we first started composting we had an old pot with a lid on it that we put kitchen scraps in and that sat beside our sink. But oh for the love of fruit flies!!!! And stink!!! ESPECIALLY during our HOT summers. It soon clicked to put the scraps in the fridge which is honestly the best composting advice I can give you. Much better. Wheather you vermicompost, compost, or feed kitchen scraps to animals, its all the same and I'd suggest this system of refridgerating your scraps until you can take them out.
Oh, and request a copy of The Urban Homestead from your library if you really plan to get into backyard gardening. Trust me, you won't regret it!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote