Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Homeschooling and adoption?

My DH and I are looking into adopting and were told by someone that we would have a hard time because we homeschool. Has anyone known this to be true or heard of similar?

We are looking at international adoption mostly but would consider older non-special needs domestic adoptions - if that makes a difference!

Advertisement

and Ian (born 6/5/14)

Last edited by weintz8; 05-17-2011 at 08:49 AM.
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling and adoption?

If you are going through the foster care system most places won't let you homeschool a child in foster care - they have to go to public/private school, but once they are adopted I don't think it matters whether you homeschool or not.

If you are going through domestic channels it's up to the birth-mom who she chooses to place her baby with and I would think homeschooling (or intent to) would show you want to invest in the child and spend lots of time with the child so that would be a positive?

I don't believe that because you homeschool you wouldn't be able to adopt through any channel.
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

We homeschool as well, its basically a crap shoot when adopting domestically. Many factors can work for or against you. Some might see homeschool and think 'cool' others might think 'weirdos who seclude their children.' I think it just depends on the e-mom, and homeschooling is becoming super popular and 'mainstream.'

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it matters at all for international adoptions.

It depends on how you are going about the domestic older child adoptions...I think foster care or children who are in foster care are generally those available for adoption domestically and once you've adopted them you can homeschool or not. A foster child has to be in an adoptive placement for a certain amount of time before there can be an intent to adopt (not sure if the time varies by state, but here it's 6 months) and for that time frame the child would have to remain in public school (without special permission from the court - which is rarely given) until the adoption is complete. At least, that's what I know about it...
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
sparkly_vagabond
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it matters. We homeschool and while we have put the process on hold while we move and meet requirements again it didn't seem to be an issue. We know 3 families who homeschool and have adotped... 3 (including ours) will be/are international adoptions. 1 is adoption through foster care. So I guess it's a crap shoot. You just start on the path you believe is right for your family and don't worry about homeschooling... things will fall into place exactly like they should GOODLUCK mama!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
FiestyJess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

a few of my friends just finished court in Eastern Europe, adopted 2 beautiful children, and they home school
Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Turns out it wasn't an issue at all!
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote