Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
does this sound right? re: feeding

my daughter will be 1 on june 15. she has started eating 3 "meals" a day, and i have not decreased her formula. (shes on the smaller/thinner side).

she drinks a 6 oz bottle when she wakes up around 7ish am, a 6 oz bottle with lunch around 11 or 1130 am, a 4-6 oz bottle when she wakes up around 1-2pm, and a 6 (sometimes 8) oz bottle after supper around 4ish pm. she sometimes drinks only a few oz around 1 or 2 pm. i would say she takes 18-24 oz a day, and her 3 meals are small.

her meals are interchangeable. she eats fruit/cereal, waffle, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheerios, veggies, pasta.

im not gonna switch her to milk for another 6 mo or so b/c i think the formula is still so important, she doesnt get nearly enough nutrition with just food.

my kids dont really get snack during the day. i know a lot of people give breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, but my son isnt a big eater generally. if he wants something, i will give him a snack. anyway, i will prob not give many snacks to my daughter either just b/c thats what we are used to.

anyway, does it sound like im feeding my daughter the right way???

(oh, and no meat until age 4 if at all)

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: does this sound right? re: feeding

To me it looks like you have a good mix of formula and food....veggies and fruit too. I am not an expert though. If you believe that she is just a small kid but healthy, then yes I think she is getting enough. If she is not healthy or really does need to gain weight per doctor's orders, then I might try some more dairy or other things to help her gain weight. Your dd doesn't need snacks because she is obviously getting plenty imo.

My dd eats 3 small meals with occasional SMALL snacks PLUS nurses about 4 times at least in a 24 hour period and she is average size.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks. the doc was worried about her weight at one point b/c her % was dropping and was then in the teens. she made us come back for weight checks and then came to terms that she was just a skinny girl. if you look at her shes just petite.

she doesnt seem hungry or anything. seems like she should be eating more food and drinking less bottles, but shes not... im ok with it, she seems to be ok with it, i just want to make sure im doing it right
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

We are on a heavier formula oz - we are still at least a quart a day + Gerber sips (1-2 which are 8 oz) and 3 meals and snacks a day at 20 months. I can see the benefits of extended formula (but we switched to the toddler) - its only a can a week/Walmart so $50 a month. I think around 2 or sooner we will do some 2% (no whole milk with reflux) but I think we'll keep on some formula till 3. We go in spurts with the food/formula so its good to have the formula as then you can pick your food battles and know they are getting some nutrition, its easy to carry with you, etc. We do no meat too. I usually make a thing of beans to nibble on once a week.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Just curious, why no meat before four?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter