Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
WonderMom
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down BREASTFEEDING LAWS IN MY STATE TN :(

"Tennessee has moved to protect this healthy practice, recently passing a law protecting a motherís right to breastfeed a child 12 months or younger in any location, public or private, where the mother and child are authorized to be present. It also prohibits local governments from criminalizing or restricting breastfeeding. An existing law requires employers in Tennessee to accommodate breastfeeding mothers at work"

i BELIEVE I CUT DD OFF AT 12 MONTHS MAYBE OR EARLIER I CANT REALLY REMEMBER. SO DOES THAT MEAN IF I WAS OUT BREASTFEEDING MY BABY HAVE HER BE 1 YEAR AND 1 MONTH THEY WOULD ARREST ME OR SOMETHING? i MEAN THATS A LITTLE SILLY TO PUT AN AGE LIMIT DON'T YOU THINK?

THAT BOTHERS ME I NEVER NEW THAT WAS OUR LAW. MY DD WILL BE 2 THIS JULY AND WE PLAN ON TTC SOON. SO I WILL HAVE TO KEEP THAT IN MIND.

WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK ABOUT?

Advertisement

WonderMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: BREASTFEEDING LAWS IN MY STATE TN :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMom View Post
"It also prohibits local governments from criminalizing or restricting breastfeeding.
I would think/ hope that this covers that (bf babies over a year) as well. I mean, putting an age limit on bfing is doing just what they are telling local governments NOT to do... restricting breastfeeding. I don't think I have ever heard of someone being arrested for breastfeeding.

The more bfing mothers we have out there, the more it will become an accepted, natural, and beautiful thing. Hopefully this law doesn't scare mothers into nursing in bathrooms or feeling like the need to not bf in public at all.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #3
WonderMom
Banned
seller

My Mood:

yeah know i may need to look into that age limit thing a little further.

I never really breastfed in public as i really wasn't that comfortable as i had just gotten married had a baby few months apart and then breastfeeding. So i was shy about it. I would have if i HAD to. But i was never in a situation were i had to in public. But all that will change with baby number 2 whenever we start ttc with he/she!
WonderMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
BusyBee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm here in TN also, and I nurse in public ALL THE TIME here without a problem-in federal buildings, ect and I know LOTS of moms who do. I am very blessed to have a family who is very pro-breastfeeding as long as the baby wants to, and many relatives have NIP with *older* babies (12 - 24 months). so sometimes people look at us weird...so what?
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I live in KY but I go to Knoxville ALL the time to the malls. I have also NIP many times with my dd who is now just shy of 22 months. It does make me a little weary to nurse her in public due to that. I don't think I would be arressted, but I DO think they'd have the right to kick me out of somewhere which would be sooo embarrassing, kwim? My dh would die, he's not Comp on board with NIP. I'm VERY modest about it too, yk nothing shows.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I hate how the government tries to take control of everything!!!!

We NIP all the time.. Dont care where I am or who is there... My son is 6m, and we plan to keep it up till past 1 yr.

I just wish people would start to realize the benefits of BFing long term!!
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranbabyjayden View Post
I hate how the government tries to take control of everything!!!!

We NIP all the time.. Dont care where I am or who is there... My son is 6m, and we plan to keep it up till past 1 yr.

I just wish people would start to realize the benefits of BFing long term!!
Yeah, honestly we shouldn't need these laws! Ugh.. what a sad country..
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
xiri
Registered Users
seller

We live in TN too. I was so disappointed with this legislation. It's good that the state govt. is making progess, but they could have done so much more. Oh well, baby steps I guess. We've gotta stay on these guys and gals.

My Ds will be 2 in August. We still BF from time to time in public and have never been approached or even gotten a sideways glance (that could be because I'm oblivious). However, I have decided that if confronted, my dc is 12m or younger. End of discussion.
xiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just moved from TN and I think the law is a step in the right direction, but yes, putting an age limit on it really bugs me. Back when we had the Delta- nurse-in, in november, one of the moms talked about that on camera on several of the local news stations. Several of us mentioned it, but at least one of us got on camera talking about it.
You've got to start somewhere though, so at least there's that.

Now, as far as actually bf'ing in public in TN, I have bf'ed my now 23 month old in public up until she self weaned, several months ago and no one ever said anything.