Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
finger/thumb suckers?

Who has a finger/thumb sucker? My 2 older boys are finger suckers...STILL!!! At 4 and 6 years old! AAGGGHHH!!! I have a feeling DS 3 will be, too. He's doing LOTS of mouthing on his hand and sucking on his hand. He'll do this just after a feeding and when I put him down for a nap. I can tell he's getting frustrated it's not working yet. I know he'll find it soon, the thumb or finger.

It's just hard to tell if he's hungry or just wanting to suck. For the most part I can tell the difference but when he starts doing that, I will offer to nurse and of course he NEVER refuses the boob! He's a boobaholic! If you have a LO that does this, how do you tell if he/she is hungry or just wanting to suck?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: finger/thumb suckers?

My two found their thumb around 3 - 4 months and never looked back.

I believe at that age that I always offered the boob first and fed until he/she popped off and started to drift to sleep. I wore them both almost all the time, especially the 2nd as my oldest was just 18 mos when he was born so the boob was always available.

I don't remember having to figure out which one DS2 wanted since I had oversupply, if he didn't want milk he would just turn his head and pop his thumb in.

I wish I could remember more clearly for you mama!!
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Natalie is trying her 8 week old darnedest to get her thumb/finger in her mouth. She was a hang sucker in the womb (had it near or in her mouth during ultrasounds!)
My older two were sooo not thumbsuckers, nor did they take a paci.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
kej
Registered Users
seller

Dd2 found her thumb about 4 mo old and at 15 mo she still loves it. Like pp, if she were done nursing, she'd just turn her head and find a thumb. She was rarely fussy with the thumb in her mouth so I didn't have to guess if she was hungry.

Now I know when her thumb goes in her mouth, she's tired. That's our sign for nighty night.