Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
totallyconfused
Registered Users
seller

Re: shampoo??

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley5 View Post
I use plain baking soda and it works WONDERFULLY - my hair is so much softer and cleaner and STAYS that way for days. Shampoo would strip my hair, it would be dry the first day, then better, then oily. Vinegar and water rinse, usually just on the ends to detangle. I've been doing this for over a year now and can't imagine going back. It's cheap, natural, and my hair looks and feels so much better than ever before!
Can you walk me through your process? I am very interested in this....

Advertisement

Follow my adventures here on my blog!
totallyconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyconfused View Post
Can you walk me through your process? I am very interested in this....
This will help you, this is how I do it

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
walley5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do it a little differently... when I first started and I tried it this way, I felt like the baking soda water was just running over my hair and not really getting to the roots/scalp. I started putting it in a squuze bottle instead, the type with a long, narrow tip, so that I could get it down deeper to my scalp. What I have found works best for me, though, is to apply the baking soda (dry, no water added) to my scalp before I get into the shower. I do this by picking some up in my fingertips and putting it where my hair is parted, and gently massaging to make sure it gets don to my scalp. Then I do the same thing in several other spots, parting my hair a bit with my fingers and applying it all over. Then I hop in the shower and just stand under the water, letting the water penetrate my hair and massaging with my fingers. That way the baking soda is primarily around the roots and once the water gets down there, it moistens it, turns a bit pasty, then just rinses out. I have always, thoughout my life, had an itchy scalp, and since I have started this, that has disappeared!!!

I usually follow up with a vinegar/water rinse, but have found that the only area that really seems to benefit is the ends, so I gather those in my hand and pour a bit on, then comb through with a comb I keep in the shower, and rinse. Detangles instantly and leaves everything soft and shiny. That's it! I love it and my husband has even started using it!

On a side note, we have been using baking soda as deodorant for 5+ years now, and it can't be beat! My husband used to get these nasty greenish, stiff spots on the armpits of his undershirts from his deodorant/antiperspirant, and he still smelled awful when he got sweaty. Since switching to plain baking soda, he NEVER smells (and trust me, he was one stinky guy) and there are no gross stains on the pits of his shirts. Baking soda is amazing stuff!

Last edited by walley5; 05-04-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: edited to correct errors caused by typing with one finger while nursing!
walley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
yellowdog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started testing a WAHM's total body wash this week that can be used as a body wash and shampoo. I love it. It does come in a bottle though. She's still testing through the end of this week if you're interested in trying some out.
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1196933
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley5 View Post
On a side note, we have been using baking soda as deodorant for 5+ years now, and it can't be beat! My husband used to get these nasty greenish, stiff spots on the armpits of his undershirts from his deodorant/antiperspirant, and he still smelled awful when he got sweaty. Since switching to plain baking soda, he NEVER smells (and trust me, he was one stinky guy) and there are no gross stains on the pits of his shirts. Baking soda is amazing stuff!
How do you use it as deodorant? Do you mix to a paste and apply? TIA!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
SonomaMom
Registered Users
seller

I do the no shampoo thing too, but I know what you mean about enjoying lathering and massaging your scalp. I miss it, but instead indulge in fancy good smelling soaps for my body instead.

I also can vouch for the acv rinse helping with the dr. bronners and baking soda residue. It does wonders.
SonomaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

How long do these shampoo bars usually last? They seem kind of pricey
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
jennymarie
Registered Users
seller

I really love Aubrey Organics shampoo, but it does come in the plastic bottle... It is less harsh and doesn't strip your hair like some shampoos.
jennymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrielainedd View Post
I tried Dr Bronners, liked it at first, but as you said, my hair was nasty!
I tried No pooing, with baking soda and ACV, loved it! But it took too long to get all the BS where it needed to be in my very long thick hair!

SO! I got shampoo bars from DressGreen on etsy! LOOOOVE!
They lather sooo nicely, smell delicious! And my hair is awesome! I still use ACV rinse. I highly suggest trying them out! Plus, every time you buy something, they send you a freebee! Like a sample of a different cent shampoo bar, or their face bar. Last time I purchased like $70 of stuff, and I got a free body sugar scrub!

I also LOVE their body cream/lotion! Their charcoal and rosemary facial soap, and their facial serums!

My friend tried their stuff and is addicted now too!!
This is what I ended up going with and I LOVE it!! Great lather, smells fantastic and EXCELLENT customer service. My only complaint was that my bars shipped in a bubble mailer, but I contacted the seller with my concerns and she was SO nice about it and is now looking into recycled/recycleable packaging for when her current batch of mailers runs out. I highly recommend her products.