Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
sapphos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
teething question help!

dd is just a week shy of 6 months and started teething this week. she cut through the gum yesterday, but not before four days of constipation, irritiability, runny nose, etc etc. At first we thought she had a cold because of the congestion, but it's really clear and bubbly, like saliva and I'm guessing it's exactly that but in her sinuses, she's also getting it in her throat and every once in awhile starts coughing and gasping for air. This is her first time being sort of sick/ill/teething whatever, and since we have no family to guide us, I just need to hear from some other mamas.

Is this typical of teething - this gurgly, congestion? what can we do short of having her sleep propped up on two pillows. We had to have our air on today because it was so hot here, but now it's off and we're letting the moist night air in. We don't have a humidifier (but going to buy one tomorrow.)

anyway so question 1 - is the gurgly, congestion normal?
question 2 - what's the bes thing to do without a humidifier.

on to another night of very little sleep on the floor next to her baby bjorn seat

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: teething question help!

My youngest is a month older than yours and she is cutting not one, but SIX teeth right now!!! (She already has two as well...don't ask me why but she got them at four months). Up until now none of my kiddos have ever had too much trouble or noticeable discomfort with teething other than swollen gums and a slight runny nose, excess saliva. My little Avarie is miserable!!! She is crying and won't nurse, but is hungry. She won't let me put her down but she is exhausted. I finally had to lay her in her bed tonight and let her lay there while I vacuumed the floor because my other two has dusted themselves head to toe in baby powder.....our laminate flooring was so slick you could go 0 to 60 in .2 seconds. While I was vacuuming she actually was quiet and fell asleep. I think the noise soothed her for some reason.

As far as the nose congestion you can do steam from the shower to loosen it if you think her nose is stuffy. Just sit on the toilet seat with the shower running and let her breathe the steam. Or get some baby saline spray and squirt some in each nostril to keep the passages clear and moist...air conditioning can really dry them out and clog them up. Don't let her sleep on the pillows, but place them under the crib mattress to prop it up at a slight angle. You can also make a mist tent over her crib if it gets really bad....use an old bed sheet, but make sure that it can't fall down on top of your baby. As far as the humidifier get a cool mist one...we have the Vicks one. Hot mist can burn and cool mist will do the same job. Plus in the summer it probably feels better for baby anyway. If the mucous turns colors or you notice her wheezing or gasping for air take her in to be seen as that shouldn't happen because of teeth. I've been giving my baby Tylenol and Motrin (alternating) for the pain....as well as running the vacuum when she needs some sleep. Hope that helps!!!
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote