Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #191
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I have some OCV which I prefer over bamboo. I'm just learning dyeing techniques and I love how simple this is. I am going to dye a yard. Thanks for the step by step.

Advertisement

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #192
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Holy Dye Batman! Dylon LWI - dye galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopinktooblue View Post
Just found this thread! Jenn you are an inspiration!!! So just out of curiousity, were you Takara baby before this venture into LWI-land? or did this just evolve for you?
Its really inspiring, it seems in just a short amount of time, around a year correct? You've become really well known!
In fact, I purchased some pocket gnomes from Bright Life toys and I think she said some of her fabrics were dyed by you!
Indeed they were! #16 was her fairy dust colorway.

It is in the bottom left corner, in between the pink one and the scrappy green one -

Jenn is amazing.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #193
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Just found this thread! Jenn you are an inspiration!!! So just out of curiousity, were you Takara baby before this venture into LWI-land? or did this just evolve for you?
Its really inspiring, it seems in just a short amount of time, around a year correct? You've become really well known!
In fact, I purchased some pocket gnomes from Bright Life toys and I think she said some of her fabrics were dyed by you!
Haha wow! It's neat that people are still finding this thread and hopefully starting their own love affair with dye.
For the rundown, I was Takara Baby before the dye experiments - but I was not "official" (still in the testing phases) and I was focused on making cloth wipes and stuff. Once I started dyeing, that was it for me - I loved it, so that's where the focus went. I don't know why, but dyeing really touched a chord with me. And yes, it's crazy what one year can do!!! LOLOL I have to say, I have been blessed with an extremely helpful DH who helped with me with dyeing. We learned together and he was more of the "well let's just do xxxx and see what happens!" and I was more of the "no, you're SUPPOSED to do it this way and that way". So together, we found a nice balance of experimentation vs. using the info gathered from people that paved the way. I found, for me, it was really helpful to have a sounding board to bounce dye ideas off of. I kinda hoped this thread would do that as well.

That's so awesome you scored some of those pocket gnomes!! I was looking at those on Gail's page and they are so adorable. SHe's an amazing WAHM - although I'm sure you already know that! Haha.

Anyway thanks for the kind words about Takara Baby - I really appreciate it. It feels like I've been doing this forever and yet hardly any time has passed at all in the grand scheme of things. It's nice to be reminded of that sometimes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi4jc View Post
I have some OCV which I prefer over bamboo. I'm just learning dyeing techniques and I love how simple this is. I am going to dye a yard. Thanks for the step by step.
Well, if you read through this post then you know I'm all about people coming back and posting pics of their dye work - so I hope that you do!! (And I loooooove OCV - so squishy!! It takes dye beautifully, you won't be disappointed!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright_Life_Toys View Post
Indeed they were! #16 was her fairy dust colorway.

It is in the bottom left corner, in between the pink one and the scrappy green one -

Jenn is amazing.
Gail! You're no dyeing slouch yourself pretty lady. I wonder how many people know that?

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #194
toopinktooblue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ooh is Gail on DS also?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #195
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
ooh is Gail on DS also?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #196
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaraBaby View Post
Gail! You're no dyeing slouch yourself pretty lady. I wonder how many people know that?
I just adore you. (WAHM crush in progress. )
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #197
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #198
toopinktooblue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

best giggle I've had all day! Thanks ladies! Jenn and Gail
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #199
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity10410 View Post
Hi mamas! I'm back with a finished project (finally ) My first attempt at LWI a couple months ago was not really post worthy. I just didn't choose the right colors (orange and green are a big no-no!!!) so I was not particularly excited about the results, esp since they were on small items like bibs and baby shirts. I am in the process of making mama cloth for PP and I ended up with about 2 yd 80/20 ivory cotton velour and decided to try and dye again. I LOVE IT!!!! I cut off a smaller piece for the mama cloth, but right as I was getting ready to dye, I decided to go ahead and color the other large piece as well. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I think it turned out great! Thanks so much for the tute and this thread

Here is the bigger piece. It ended up with more white than the smaller piece, but I am still happy with it

a close up of one of my favorite areas on the larger piece

the smaller piece

and close-ups of all three areas. I think it will make GREAT mama cloth

That is sooooo beautiful! Can't wait to see the mama cloth you make with it!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #200
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Cross posting this here:
(From Craft Chat)

I am going to use Takara Baby's LWI technique using Dylon as an easy project for my kids and I. I do not want to use Procion for this, I want to use Dylon because it is much easier for an 8 and a 10 year old. And me.

They have shirts and towels and the like to dye.

I have flats. And once dyed the flats will be embellished with fabric. How do I ensure that the flat does not bleed onto the fabric embellishment?

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote