Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
"mommysmilkisyummy"
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 14
My Mood:
Question Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Hi everyone! I am currently BF my 9 month old, she has been BF exclusively since birth, no formula. We started solids/table food at around 6 months and I've noticed my supply has dropped. It doesn't seem that she's getting the majority of her nutrition from the BM now, as she is from the regular food. I'd really like to turn that around but I don't want to stop feeding her solids. I heard in a natural mama group that Goats Rue (aka French Lilac, Holy Hay) is really great at increasing milk supply as well as increasing breast size and acting as a diuretic. However, I can't seem to find much more information about it.
Has anyone tried it? Are there any side effects I should be aware of. I'm a little concerned about it lowering blood sugar, I'm not diabetic but I do feel it if my sugar is low sometimes because of a skipped meal or something.
Any information and advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

"mommysmilkisyummy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "mommysmilkisyummy" View Post
Hi everyone! I am currently BF my 9 month old, she has been BF exclusively since birth, no formula. We started solids/table food at around 6 months and I've noticed my supply has dropped. It doesn't seem that she's getting the majority of her nutrition from the BM now, as she is from the regular food. I'd really like to turn that around but I don't want to stop feeding her solids. I heard in a natural mama group that Goats Rue (aka French Lilac, Holy Hay) is really great at increasing milk supply as well as increasing breast size and acting as a diuretic. However, I can't seem to find much more information about it.
Has anyone tried it? Are there any side effects I should be aware of. I'm a little concerned about it lowering blood sugar, I'm not diabetic but I do feel it if my sugar is low sometimes because of a skipped meal or something.
Any information and advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!
MotherLove sells goats rue capsules and puts it in a few of their other products for milk supply increasing. They have an awesome site - here's a link to their goats rue page:
http://www.motherlove.com/category/r...goats-rue.html

I took one of their tinctures (More Milk Plus) that had goats rue in it and I noticed a way bigger increase with it versus taking the other ingredients without goats rue. It works really well for me. Goats rue is actually the go-to milk increaser (galactogogue) in Europe from the research I've done. HTH!
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
pagodagirl's Avatar
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 654
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

I've used the motherlove blend that has goat's rue and had good results, I switched the the more milk plus (which actually is the blend without goat's rue) since the motherlove website said goats rue can be used to increase breast tissue and I do not need that! (size H postpartum, ugh!).
Kellymom is a great website with lots of breastfeeding resources. Here's their page on herbal galactogogues: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
pagodagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
~Peach~'s Avatar
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Garden City, MI
Posts: 15,275
My Mood:
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Im going to high jack but is goats rue better than fenugreek? I am using a combo of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and marshmallow with no luck
__________________
Jen hopelessly addicted to snails, mama to Mena, Kaylen, Saedra, Aya and expecting a new niblet 11/12/2013

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
triplet-momma's Avatar
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 423
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Peach~ View Post
Im going to high jack but is goats rue better than fenugreek? I am using a combo of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and marshmallow with no luck
It was for me; I was having no luck at all with fenugreek but once I started the goat's rue there was a large noticeable increase
__________________
Momma to my gorgeous all boy triplets: R, E, and F in June, 2008 and little man K in February 2011
triplet-momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
~Peach~'s Avatar
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Garden City, MI
Posts: 15,275
My Mood:
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet-momma View Post
It was for me; I was having no luck at all with fenugreek but once I started the goat's rue there was a large noticeable increase
Thats where Im at now. Taking 3 capsules4 times daily and along with 4 capsules a day of the marshmallow and blessed thistle with nothing to show for it other than smelling like a freaking IHOP 24/7
__________________
Jen hopelessly addicted to snails, mama to Mena, Kaylen, Saedra, Aya and expecting a new niblet 11/12/2013

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Peach~ View Post
Thats where Im at now. Taking 3 capsules4 times daily and along with 4 capsules a day of the marshmallow and blessed thistle with nothing to show for it other than smelling like a freaking IHOP 24/7
I had a good increase with fenugreek BUT it totally hurt my stomach so I needed something else. The goats rue (in whatever blend it is offered or by itself) has helped me sooooo much. I also make a tea from dry herbs that I drink a cup or two of every day (just buy bulk herbs organic: raspberry leaf, nettle, alfalfa, dandelion) helps hugely.

__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
triplet-momma's Avatar
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 423
Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Peach~ View Post
Thats where Im at now. Taking 3 capsules4 times daily and along with 4 capsules a day of the marshmallow and blessed thistle with nothing to show for it other than smelling like a freaking IHOP 24/7
I take the More Milk Special Blend (2 capsules 3 times per day) and I also added domperidone; with those 2 I"m able to come damn close to exclusively breastfeeding. Hoping to ditch our last supplement in the next few weeks
__________________
Momma to my gorgeous all boy triplets: R, E, and F in June, 2008 and little man K in February 2011
triplet-momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.