Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Stainless steel or BPA-free sippy cups?

We love our Klean Kanteens! We have never had a leak with our KK sippy spouts!

Breastfeeding , babywearing, cloth diapering , co-sleeping SAHM to a bun in the oven , a big boy , a bigger boy and loving wife to my soulmate!
nebmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Registered Users

Thanks so much for your input, Mamas!!!

You definitely sold me on the Klean Kanteen... We ordered one, and if it works well for us, we'll be ordering more. It just arrived today, so I'm eager for DD to try it out!

Originally Posted by WooKid View Post
We are Klean Kanteen users here in our household, too.

Here are my reasons why:
-- IMHO, Stainless Steel is much safer than any plastic options out there.
-- Water just tastes SO MUCH BETTER out of Stainless Steel, compared to plastic!!
-- SS cleans up so nicely. My neighbor used plastic sippy cups, and I always felt like her cups didn't get squeaky-clean the way our KK's did. The plastic gradually "wore down" over time, and it made me wonder, where is that plastic residue going? In my kid's drink?
-- KK bottles are an investment. Once you purchase them, they last FOREVER. You can always buy new top attachments. We used the Avent spout only briefly, as we were able to transition our Kiddo to the normal "sport cap" top pretty quickly. Those same KK's are now used daily in kids' lunch boxes. LOVE IT! Not only good for the earth, but a wise investment for my pocketbook too!
Also, I completely agree about the taste factor!! Cold water tastes soooo nice and refreshing from a stainless steel bottle!
Wife to my best friend, L Proud, first-time mama to lively toddler, E (2/10)

wavesofgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
Registered Users

I am a big fan of the Pura Kiki bottles. They claim to be the only ones in the world that are 100% plastic free; I think is true as every other bottle I have found has a plastic collar AND cover. There are a bunch of articles coming out that show even BPA-free plastic is bad for our little ones. The have also won a ton of awards. Do a search for Pura Stainless and you will find lots of info on them.
eco-mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Registered Users
So glad I found this post! Are these KK sippy cups work for babies too (6-9 months) or they meant for older kids?
babydust2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Registered Users

you can get soft spout attachments for KK
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Registered Users
My Mood:

I got a two pack of contigo stainless steel with flip up soft spouts from costco ($20) recently and my three year old takes it EVERYWHERE. I bought them for myself but the kids have stolen them. We live in AZ so they drink a lot of water and I always found that kids size cups were empty to quickly. Plus they love to push the button and have the spout flip up. I need to go buy some extras to make it through the summer in case one gets left behind. If we leave a plastic cup in the car the water would be practically boiling by the time they went to drink it.
DallasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Registered Users

Yep, we love our kk's too. We all have them now and while my kids have dented them, they still look good and do the job perfectly.

I do find the sport cap will drip out the silicone vent if the bottle is tipped on it's side though, so if the bottles are going in a bag, I put on a different cap we have from some other s/steel bottles we have. This one, it has a pop-up spout but no silicone vent.

Mind you, looking at the kk tops I linked to, they look a little different to what we have, maybe they've fixed the dripping/leaking issue and it's time to try the new ones. Hmmm.

And I do love the fact that you can put ice cubes in the kk's because of the wide top and that all the lids are interchangeable.
Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote