Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lightbulb The last time you nursed your nursling... how hard was it on you?

If you have ever weaned a baby/toddler in the past.. the last time you nursed that child knowing or thinking this was the last time they would nurse.. the last time you would share that special time.. how hard emotionally was it for you?

My 17 yo son never latched and exclusively pumped and bottlefed for just 6 weeks.. since day 1 with my 11 mo old I've been dreading the day that she won't nurse any longer.. not that it will be anytime soon.. I just get emotional thinking we might not have that time together anymore..

Advertisement

wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The last time you nursed your nursling... how hard was it on you?

It was really bittersweet. We had a super difficult time nursing, so it felt good to know that I kind of had my body back and didn't have to deal with some of the things that come along with nursing (biting, leaking, no caffine, ect.) It was hard though, I loved having that special time with him. I felt proud for nursing as long as I did though, and I think both him and I were mutually ok with no longer nursing
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

I think if you just let it happen naturally, when she's ready, it won't be as hard as you think. My DD nursed to sleep the night of her second birthday, and woke up sick the next morning. That night she still wasn't feeling well and fell asleep on the couch. I moved her into her bed, and she didn't wake up, therefore didn't nurse (she was only nursing at bedtime at that point). The next night, the same thing happened. The following night, she was feeling better, but I decided to see what she would do if I put her to bed without nursing her ... she never said a word about it. She was just done. Easy peasy. I felt fine about it. I knew she was ready.

It was bittersweet. Just another sign that my baby was growing up. But, I was really fine with it. Maybe sad for a night or two, and then I was over it.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
mommytoallgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd1 self weaned at 18m to the day. I "made" her nurse one more night just b/c I was NOT ready to say goodbye. I maybe could have gotten her to nurse longer but she was down to just before bedtime and it was only for about 10 minutes. She didn't fall asleep, barely even relaxed into it. So it wasn't a big adjustment, but it was hard for me to let it go. My biggest regret is not trying to keep her nursing longer. However, I found out I was pregnant the next month so I guess it's possible that my milk tasted different due to pregnancy. IDK. Anyways, I was sad. So sad!!
mommytoallgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Gitrecca
Registered Users

It was bittersweet, for sure. But, I didn't know it would be my last nursing session or I would have been a lot more emotional, I'm sure. A couple of weeks after my son turned two the in-laws visited for a few days. My son was so distracted he fell into bed every night (he was only nursing at night and occasionally in the morning) without nursing. So he went the whole weekend without nursing or asking. He asked again on Tuesday night and I nursed him, and then that was it. Looking back on it I was sad, but I think it worked out wonderfully really. I mean, there was no effort on my part to encourage him to stop and I had no engorgement issues. I almost hope the same thing happens with this baby girl! I would not have chosen that way, but it worked well for us.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found it really difficult. In fact I put it off a few weeks after the date I'd "set" as the last time because I couldn't bring myself to admit it was over. I loved nursing dd1 despite all the struggles we had. I had to just not think about it or it would have made it harder. You've got plenty of time left with your lo. Try not to dwell on it and just enjoy the special time you have together now.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Here is the story of what turned out to be DD's last nursing:
http://lactationnarration.com/index....st-time-maybe/
Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

It was sad, but I was pregnant (DS was 23/24 mos when he weaned) and I just couldn't handle the pain from nursing. Also, DS was so whiny and clingy that I have to be honest and say that I was ready to wean him before he weaned. I just couldn't bring myself to do it prior to the pregnancy b/c I felt so bad when he would ask to nurse. So, the pain from the pregnancy gave me a "reason" to not nurse him anymore without the mama guilt. We had a great nursing relationship for close to 2 years, but I was truly ready for it to be over. It was sad when he would ask to nurse, b/c I felt guilty saying no, but when he tried to nurse, it was like putting my nipple into a paper shredder. That was enough to make the sadness/guilt go away real quick!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote