Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
StyciM
Registered Users
seller

Re: OMG! I know I'm going to sound super judgy, but I just have to get this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu View Post
Mama, watch "Pregnant in America" and "The Business of Being Born" (both are on Netflix if you have it). They will change the way you think of childbirth in America. I think every expecting mom should watch these movies.

It's sad to hear of people getting railroaded into medical interventions that are not needed...

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG! I know I'm going to sound super judgy, but I just have to get this out!

This is such a typical story...makes me really sad and really mad at the same time. Nothing is going to change in our maturnity care unless women stand up to these doctors and say NO!!
It's so interesting to me that most women are against drinking alcohol and eating deli meat while pregnant but will agree to be pumped full of drugs, cut open, and have their babies pulled out by their heads at birth.

If it's any consolation about the ultrasound. Dopplers have been found to be more harmful on babies then dopplers; which are used at every prenatal appointment for 99.9% of women.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #23
courtneyo_5
Registered Users
seller

That is so sad and so lame. I don't understand why people are afraid of big babies. Don't they relize that our bodies were made to do this. I'm not a big person (115 lbs pre preg and size 3 or 5 pants) but my second baby was 9lbs 11oz. Everyone was shocked that I could deliver her vaginally. But she was easier than my first. I really hate it when doctors say that the baby is going to be too big and make expecting moms freak out about a big baby.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

blech.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
This isn't just in America, Mamas. ODS was born via c/s in Germany by a German doctor at a German hospital. They do u/s at every appointment. I was told my son was too large to be born vaginally from close to 25 weeks. He said my hips were fine but my pelvis was not. I pretty much blew that off as I know tiny women have huge babies everyday. My son was 7lbs 7 oz. Not huge at all.

Now because of this doctor I have to have a c/s every time since he refused to give me documentation about the direction of my incision on my uterus. No doctor around here will touch me with a 10 ft pole for a vbac. In Nov I will have c/s #3 and risk my life again. See, I hemmoraghe very badly & each time it gets worse. Last time I needed transfusions & nearly died.

Oh, the actual reason I had to have my first was failure to progress. I only got to 5 cm after 12 hours of labor. I always figured labor take longer. My water didn't even break during those 12 hours. They just wanted me out of the room because they only had 2 and both were filled. One with a German woman with government health care and the other with an American with Tricare. Guess they chose me for c/s for the $$.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #26
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

You're right, that doctor is a jerk. However, your friend should've taken a more active role in her pregnancy, and sought to be more informed. I'm not dismissing what he did, I assure you, but I'm so tired of hearing how horrible these trickster doctors are sometimes. It's not like he tied her to a wall for her entire pregnancy, she did have the ability to educate herself. So many mamas just don't do that, and I honestly believe that is one of the first steps we as women need to take to put a stop to this c-section and induction-happy insanity.

That being said, I'm sorry you both had go through this frustrating ordeal

Also, the too big thing pisses me off. It's not as if the pelvis is one solid piece of bone. It has sections, which can change shape and size based on numerous things, including position. You can't reasonably tell someone they cannot fit a baby through it based solely on inaccurate sizing of the child
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #27
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Terrible
Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I had a friend that was 100% convinced that if she delivered vaginally, her baby WOULD DIE, because her previous baby (born vaginally) had shoulder dystocia and was 9 lbs.

The baby came out on the low end of 8lbs.

The thing that angers me most is that SHE Is not angry about that!!! She SHOULD be! She TRUSTED a doctor that said her baby would be bigger than 10 lbs and would DIE... and the baby came out normal size and she could have had a vaginal birth.

People really don't understand that a csection is MONTHS of recovery. I don't think I felt close to normal until almost 1 year postpartum!!! And I couldn't work out/ab work for well over 7 mo after the csection!
actually shoulder dystocia can be incredibly dangerous. i have had two babies who had it. one was 9lbs 2oz and the other was 10lb 7oz- the larger one was actually stuck for some time and it was very scary. it's silly to take something like that lightly.

it's too bad that your friend had to have a c section, but that's the choice she made for the good of her child. why question it that much if it's not your decision??

Last edited by steph410; 05-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
GwenV
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is why I prefer a midwife to an OB. But in the Drs defence, there was a great point that Theresa Pitman (BF and pregnancy guru) made in her Pregnancy book, (this is totally a paraphrase) OBs are trained to solve problems and they are taught methods to solve the problems. They see pregnancy as something to be solved. Usually using a method they feel is best for mother and baby. I seem to think she had even suggested that thats why it is best to look for other options rather than an OB if it is a healthy pregnancy (don't quote me on that part, I read it a few years ago).

I have also recently read Birthing From Within in prep for my forth delivery and I have to admit it left me feeling bitter about my Dr experience with my first. I keep wondering if I had a midwife then, would I have had the problems? And I respected and still do respect that Dr. I just would not let them near me for a pregnancy again.

G
Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #30
crunch!910
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
actually shoulder dystocia can be incredibly dangerous. i have had two babies who had it. one was 9lbs 2oz and the other was 10lb 7oz- the larger one was actually stuck for some time and it was very scary. it's silly to take something like that lightly.

it's too bad that your friend had to have a c section, but that's the choice she made for the good of her child. why question it that much if it's not your decision??
Because the baby was NOT measuring large, and because even if it were, US can be up to 2 lbs off! That is a VERY big error margin. Her "HUGE" baby that WOULD die came out low end of 8 lbs. She was SMALL, even, for 8 lbs. I had a 9 lb 13oz baby, and she was much smaller, and her head was small too. I sometimes question myself if I could have even delivered my toddler of a newborn, but there's no doubt in my mind if she delivered a nearly 10 lb baby that she could have popped her youngest out with ease.

And I do NOT believe she had informed consent. I believe the doctor made her TERRIFIED without any true information. The doctor played on her fears, and even purposely skewed information. And because if she ever did want to have more children, she would not have the options to have a VBAC without driving a very long ways. I have a whole handful of friends who wouldn't bother trying to do a VBAC because they couldn't afford to drive 1+ hr away monthly and then weekly at the end for a care provider, nor woudl they want to. It angers me because women are taken advantage of when they are vulnerable, made to be terrifed into a decision they don't fully understand, and one that has very serious restrictions for future births!!!