View Poll Results: would you go to the ER for a non emergency?
yes, I would do anything for my kid 12 10.17%
no, ER's are for emergencies 84 71.19%
other, because there should always be an other 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have takem my kids to the ER for things most wouldn't consider an emergency like a stomach virus or the flu. However, it is an emergency for them due to their Diabetes. I am sure people looked on thinking I was paranoid but the stomach virus was really the onset of DKA and he was put in the PICU. The flu turned to pnemonia in 2 days & was also a PICU stay. Even today we had an ER visit because ODS hurt his thumb yesterday. The cat tripped him. His thumb was swollen twice its size but I didn't want to go to the ER on a holiday weekend. We went anyway & yup ~ broken. My point is trust your instinct. If you don't think it is an emergency for your little one, don't go. Just try to keep her comfy 'til Tuesday. GL.

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
mimieliza
Registered Users

Re: would you take your kid to the ER knowing it's not an emergency

No. Not for diaper rash. There is nothing they can do for her that you can't do at home. Let her go diaper free as much as possible, slather on ointment/cream, and call your doctor's office after hours line to see what they recommend until you can get her in.

The only time I have taken either of my children to the ER was for my baby's serious asthma attack.
mimieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Adorkable Ellyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you used yogurt? I was super bad with yeasty infections when I was a baby and once I was old enough to eat yogurt it was so much easier to not have a diaper rash my parents told me since it balanced me out. Just you have to make sure it has the active cultures. Someone else said try it on a bum and that seems pretty logical to me
Adorkable Ellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Angel89411
Banned

They have After Hour clinics here. For when you need help but it isn't an emergency. Plus you will probably wait maybe 30 minutes as opposed to 3 hours. Plus, there are really sick people in the ER. I wouldn't expose my kid to those germs if I didn't need to.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried a baking soad/oatmeal bath? Its really soothing, and can help clear it up a bit. I would not be wiping her bum at all, I would stick her in the tub every time (a PITA I know, but worth it) or use my shower head to spray her off, then let her have as much nekkid time as possible! Tey not to wipe her bum at all, let it air dry, use a blowdryer or pat dry if need be!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
pcjs
Registered Users

I would try a CVS or Walmart or private urgent care clinic... too many sick people in an ER and they really aren't good with that kind of stuff. They are best for dying or seriously ill. Every time we've done its been a waste of time and you wait hours for nothing.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Len27
Registered Users
seller

yeah, no I wouldn't go in for a diaper rash. There's not a thing they will do for it in the ER that you can't do at home. I contemplated taking my DD in last weekend on sunday night because I KNEW she had a UTI. Called the ER, they were slammed. Weighed the pros and cons, realized there wasn't a pharmacy that would be open by the time we'd be done anyway and took her in the morning instead- we were in and out in an hour or two, rx in hand. I would have preferred to wait to see our dr, but that would have meant leaving it for two more days and I just wasn't putting her through that sort of agony if it got a lot worse, as UTIs tend to do.
So...weigh the pros and cons, decide what you think they're going to do, and figure out how soon you can get your LO into the dr first.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
purpledayz
Registered Users

Does she have any food allergies? DS had a nasty "yeast rash" that would not go away until I noticed it got better on days he didn't eat wheat. After cuttin wheat out all the way his rash started healing up just fine.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

Hmm, well I did once. I took him in one time because it looked horrible (not sure about painful). Turned out he was having an allergic reaction to something. I think it was a juice I drank for the first time. If it's a long term rash it could be something baby is consuming here and there...my best advice is mama knows best and even if it's not a big deal, you want to make baby feel better ASAP. Good luck mama. Hope baby feels better :0)

sorry, I'm bound to have mistakes, I'll just blame it on my iPhone

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
Do you have a "Quick Care" clinic there? That's why I voted "other."

If someones arm isn't falling off etc, I avoid the ER like the plague. Takes them forever to see you and there are SIIIIIICK people there. Usually "dirty" people too.

Quick care clinics seem to be my goto alternative. They are open 7 days a week around here from 7am-8pm usually.
ITA w/ everything she said!
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote