Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

goodmama questions ???

Ok, so I'm afraid I'm doomed lol I bought a goodmama I now have the urge to sell off my whole stash to fund goodmamas lol. Anyways, a couple questions. Can you tell the difference in a pic btwn, silky soft vs sherpa, and anything in between? (Pics of examples would be awesome )Also, won't line drying in the sun fade the prints/colored inners? Are the different tags older vs newer? Which is which? What's the difference btwn obv and cv. Is one more absorbant, softer, wear better? Id just like to know my stuff to try and get the best deal possible. Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum-crazy typos not my fault!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is turned edges vs surged just a preference thing? Seems like the turned would be more bulky?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: goodmama questions ???

Depends on the quality of the photo but usually you can see if the dipe is still silky soft. They will fade even in the hot washes so it's inevitable that you'll see some fading. Yes the new tags are different - off the top of my head I think it says good and then mama underneath whereas the old ones were one long word. The other questions...IDK, sorry, haha! I'm not a GM expert as they never fit that great on DD but I do love their prints
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Is turned edges vs surged just a preference thing? Seems like the turned would be more bulky?

I think with the serged there's more of a possibility of the threads fraying...
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks crazylife!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
kaireece
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll try and look and take pics later.
off the top of my head - I didn't notice any fading of the colored cotton velour in my print diapers. some prints fade and others don't seem too - just depends on the print.
obv when new is shiny and silky and unbelievably soft. a new goodmama is squishy squishy shiny soft. a gm that is sherpa is not squishy shiny soft. it's still nice and soft (and maybe a bit more absorbent?! it's been a couple of years since my son pl'd).

my dipes are from 2008/09 and the old tags. they are long and narrow and goodmama is one word.

You can tell in pics a brand new gm that is obv - but I think once it's lost it's 'shine' it will be difficult to tell if it's sherpa or just less soft. but - as a plug for sherpa - I actually love my dipe that is more sherpa feeling than some of my newer ones! It seems more bullet proof.

ISO: restraint.
kaireece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! Pics would be awesome!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
wigglers
Registered Users

I've bought all my GMs used off here, Spots or Kijiji. I have only the older ones with the tags that have one long word, and only the serged, so that's all I can comment on. I've been using them for about 8 months now, and I love them!

I find that some prints fade and others don't.

I couldn't always tell in pics how soft a dipe was when I bought them, but I trusted the mamas selling them and didn't fare badly at all. They are holding up well, and I only have about 18 in my stash and they are in rotation constantly. I wash on hot with Tide and dry in the dryer. No time to baby the dipes here!

I find the only difference between OBV and CV (I have both) is that the CV seem to stay soft and don't head to sherpa, and they also seem to run larger in fit that the woven prints do. Just my experience. They both wear great.

My only complaints on GMs are these: they are not all the same size, and I fear that some will be too small before PLing. Likely the woven ones, but even those are different in size. And given that I'm hard on the dipes, I notice that I am getting some fraying in the serging. Of course I'm also the second owner of most of them, and I paid $15 or less per dipe which means many were well loved before we got them!

Hope that is helpful....they are very addicting!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Silky obv will look shiny in pics, sherpa will look like sherpa (bumpy), in between will look almost smooth. When in doubt ask for more/closer pics. They say sherpa is more absorbent but I loved squishy obv.
I never line dried so no help there.
The old tags are long (rectangle). New ones are square.
CP doesn't get sherpa but isn't as silky squishy imo.
I always liked serged, imo turned is bulkier (not as smooth) on any dipe.

Try not to get caught up in HTF prints. Enjoy!
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote