Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #31
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Ear Piercing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
you gave your opinion and I gave mine.
My opinion didn't include overt judgment of anyone who chooses or doesn't choose to have a child's ears pierced by stating, "I really lose a lot of respect for the parent" for whatever decision they make. There's a world of difference between "I think it's tacky", "I don't think it's cute", etc. and what you posted.

It is human nature to judge--we make judgments all the time. However, I try to frame my replies to express my opinion about an issue with the least amount of judgment.

Honestly, to "lose respect" for someone because they make a largely inconsequential decision with which you disagree seems a bit hyperbolic. You wanna lose respect for people who feed their children nothing by HFCS and starch? OK, I get it. You wanna lose respect for people who use TV as babysitter and sole form of entertainment? Sure. But ear piercing is your line in the sand? Really? What do you do about people you know that circumcise? Cut them out of photographs & yell at them every time you see them in public?

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

inconsequential? i think not.

and I absolutely will not be friends with someone who is pro circ.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 05-29-2011 at 08:49 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #33
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
Against.

I'm against modifying someone's body without their consent.

If my daughter were to ask (she's almost 4), I would take her to a tat/piercing studio and have her watch someone else having their ears done (not me, I have no more room for piercings in my ears) and go from there.

Ideally, she'd wait until she was able to care for them herself (8-10 y/o).
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #34
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Always a nice debate.

I regretably did my oldest 2 daughters when they were infants. Both have lopsided holes and one hates earrings. Not only that but my oldest had sensory issues as a toddler and ripped them out many times and even swallowed them 3 times.

Now I have 3 more younger daughters and they will not be pierced until they ask and I find someone to do it properly. My 5 year old has asked but we have put her off a bit.

We are now in the "her body, her choice" camp and dont believe in modifying anyones body for vanity/cosmetic reasons until they are old enough to choose themselves.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
inconsequential? i think not.

and I absolutely will not be friends with someone who is pro circ.

I fail to see, in the larger scheme of things, the significance or importance of ear piercing--but I actually would love to know why you think it is of consequence in the 18-21 year marathon that is parenting. What is the far reaching impact of that 32 second procedure?

Are there longitudinal studies that show that girls who have their ears pierced at a young age are more likely to... have sex earlier than unpierced teens? Catch an STD? Get pregnant as teenagers? Develop breast cancer? Suffer from depression or other mental illnesses? Resent their mothers forever and ever?

I guess in light of the fact that none of the above has been studied or seems to be true, ear piercing is pretty inconsequential in the the big picture of parenting.

As a parent, this is one of those decisions I get to make. Just like I get to choose to circ or not, vaccinate or not, cut my child's hair or not, dress him/her in licensed character clothing or not. To say you don't respect people who make decisions with which you disagree, or at least this decision, is judgmental and rude. But maybe you don't mind coming off that way?

I guess if I didn't respect everyone that made parenting decisions with which I disagreed, I wouldn't have any friends, as I'm one of only a few anti-circ people I know IRL. I also find walkers to be unsafe & wouldn't buy a drop side crib even when they were perfectly legal in this country. That doesn't mean that people who make those decisions are less deserving of my respect than anyone else. Maybe they need some education about some of those decisions, though I don't see it as my place to educate them unless I'm specifically asked. And maybe they've done their research and come to a different conclusion that I have. I know sometimes it's hard to believe that when faced with the same set of facts, people can come to a different (i.e., wrong) conclusion!

I guess I'm lucky to live in a world where people can make different parenting decisions than I do and still be friends. Diversity rocks!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #36
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont think doing unnecessary body modifications without a person's consent should be a parenting decision.

Quote:
To say you don't respect people who make decisions with which you disagree, or at least this decision, is judgmental and rude. But maybe you don't mind coming off that way?
Nope, dont care. if people dont like what I say they are perfectly welcome to use the ignore feature. just like I'm going to
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I don't like how it looks either...but I really don't care if other people want to get their infants' ears pierced.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #38
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I dont think doing unnecessary body modifications without a person's consent should be a parenting decision.

Nope, dont care. if people dont like what I say they are perfectly welcome to use the ignore feature. just like I'm going to
I can accept and acknowledge a difference of opinion and not have to ignore someone with whom I disagree.

Back to OP--do what you want, what you feel comfortable with, and realize that nobody is going to tell you to your face they think it looks ugly or is a poor decision. The internet makes a lot of people far more outspoken than they are IRL.

And lots of people will tell you they think it's adorable & that they pierced their daughters' ears when they were babies, and it was a lot easier than dealing with a 7 year old that only wanted to get one ear done!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally do not find earings on baby's to be cute. I kind of find it sad really. I find it sad that a baby doesn't get a vote in what is done to their body. I can understand they don't get a vote when we make medical decisions, but there isn't anything medical about an ear piercing. Also baby ear piercings are done with piercing guns and all piercings should be done with hollow needles instead so you reduce the chances of infections. And you won't find a respectable pierciest that is going to pierce an infants ear. I know that my answer probably sounds rude, but I do not intend to be rude to anyone.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #40
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megkmc View Post
My bro is a body piercer and won't pierce anyone who is not old enough to take care of them on there own, which in his opinion is closer to 10 than 3. So I don't have to worry about being the one to decide, it will be uncles problem
Maybe my dd is RARE and ADVANCED (joking! ) but the care of pierced ears isn't that difficult. She was totally able to do it at 3.5. I got my first set at 7 and I also was able to care for them on my own.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote