Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have LG washing machine Water Plus feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaV View Post
I just do all diapers on the "sanitary" setting. I found it easier than customizing. Many fewer buttons to push, and you get extra hot water.

I also hit water plus and extra rinse.
This is my routine too. I do have to be careful not to put in too many diapers at once though or they don't get clean. I also dry my inserts/prefolds on the antibacterial setting on the dryer about once a week.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we have one we bought in 2008 and still are very very happy with it. This is just a copy/paste of the email I sent my husband when he needs to wash diapers, with some notes added in:

DIAPER LAUNDRY

PRERINSE:

Rinse + Spin, Extra Rinse, Water Plus, Warm/Warm, No Spin

Basically, the first rinse (which does spin) will spin out the yucky water. The second rinse doesn't spin, so the dipes are nice and saturated. This is good for 2 reasons: During the wash cycle, the dipes won't soak up all of the wash water, and the machine will "sense" a mega full load and use the max amount of water.

WASH (Custom Cycle):

Cotton/Normal, Hot/Cold, Extra High Spin, Heavy Soil, Water Plus, Stain Cycle (which adds extra time and an extra rinse).

The washer will do the "load sense" and kind of be unbalanced, so it will stop and automatically use the max amount of water. Sometimes it doesn't even spin and just starts automatically.

20 mL of Babyganics and 2 tbl Biokleen Oxygen Plus.

RINSE:

The machine will automatically do 2 rinses. But, they will both be cold. I prefer warm rinses, so this is what I do when I wash. I don't have my husband do it bc it's complicated...

Stop the machine before it starts filling for the rinse cycle. (Usually around 45 min remaining). Restart machine.

Rinse + Spin, Water Plus, Extra Rinse, Warm/Warm, Extra High Spin

(Wait for water to fill for first rinse, Pause, add 2 caps Ecover Softener to dispenser, Resume)

DRY: (Custom Program)

Hang dry covers.
90 min on Medium heat with dryer balls.

To set a Custom Program, set the washer with all of the settings, then hold down the Custom Program button. When it chimes, the memory is set.

I know this seems complicated when you write it down, but it's super easy in practice and it totally works for getting the most water into the machine.
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfanny View Post
Yes, we have one we bought in 2008 and still are very very happy with it. This is just a copy/paste of the email I sent my husband when he needs to wash diapers, with some notes added in:

DIAPER LAUNDRY

PRERINSE:

Rinse + Spin, Extra Rinse, Water Plus, Warm/Warm, No Spin

Basically, the first rinse (which does spin) will spin out the yucky water. The second rinse doesn't spin, so the dipes are nice and saturated. This is good for 2 reasons: During the wash cycle, the dipes won't soak up all of the wash water, and the machine will "sense" a mega full load and use the max amount of water.

WASH (Custom Cycle):

Cotton/Normal, Hot/Cold, Extra High Spin, Heavy Soil, Water Plus, Stain Cycle (which adds extra time and an extra rinse).

The washer will do the "load sense" and kind of be unbalanced, so it will stop and automatically use the max amount of water. Sometimes it doesn't even spin and just starts automatically.

20 mL of Babyganics and 2 tbl Biokleen Oxygen Plus.

RINSE:

The machine will automatically do 2 rinses. But, they will both be cold. I prefer warm rinses, so this is what I do when I wash. I don't have my husband do it bc it's complicated...

Stop the machine before it starts filling for the rinse cycle. (Usually around 45 min remaining). Restart machine.

Rinse + Spin, Water Plus, Extra Rinse, Warm/Warm, Extra High Spin

(Wait for water to fill for first rinse, Pause, add 2 caps Ecover Softener to dispenser, Resume)

DRY: (Custom Program)

Hang dry covers.
90 min on Medium heat with dryer balls.

To set a Custom Program, set the washer with all of the settings, then hold down the Custom Program button. When it chimes, the memory is set.

I know this seems complicated when you write it down, but it's super easy in practice and it totally works for getting the most water into the machine.

Wow, you are a microbiologist and thorough. I'm going to save your instructions for when I start washing dirty dipes in august. I do have one question, though. Why are you not taking advantage of the machine's really hot water which is only created in the sanitary cycle?

Our hot water heater is slow and not that hot. I know when I do regular cotton washes the machine starts to fill and it's probably half filled with cool water before the hot starts, and it's not all that hot.

For towels, which hold onto bacteria, I already do sanitary, and sometimes bedding too.

Also, when I lived in Europe, I learned that hot, really really hot water, got clothes really clean. Where I lived, you were not allowed to buy bleach, or any hard core commercial detergents we have here. What they do there is with anything really dirty, that is hardy, they set the machine to a "boil wash" and while I am not sure the water gets to actual boiling temp , it is super hot, and it gets rid of the worst stains. Tmi, but a mattress pad with old stains on it came out white after a boil cycle. Wow. So just wondering why you didn't use LG 's sanitary cycle?

Thanks.
FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i do, mine is a lg tromm.

i find i need to wet pail or do a rinse with no spin immediately before the wash to get them heavy enough from the water to fool the washer into adding enough water. i also do the water plus button. i use tide he powder

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Friendly Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FulHouse View Post
Wow, you are a microbiologist and thorough. I'm going to save your instructions for when I start washing dirty dipes in august. I do have one question, though. Why are you not taking advantage of the machine's really hot water which is only created in the sanitary cycle?

Our hot water heater is slow and not that hot. I know when I do regular cotton washes the machine starts to fill and it's probably half filled with cool water before the hot starts, and it's not all that hot.

For towels, which hold onto bacteria, I already do sanitary, and sometimes bedding too.

Also, when I lived in Europe, I learned that hot, really really hot water, got clothes really clean. Where I lived, you were not allowed to buy bleach, or any hard core commercial detergents we have here. What they do there is with anything really dirty, that is hardy, they set the machine to a "boil wash" and while I am not sure the water gets to actual boiling temp , it is super hot, and it gets rid of the worst stains. Tmi, but a mattress pad with old stains on it came out white after a boil cycle. Wow. So just wondering why you didn't use LG 's sanitary cycle?

Thanks.

I will occasionally use the sanitary cycle, and I definitely use it when washing FSOT dipes for the first time. I did a little research into the water temps of washing machines, because what is "hot" for one machine might be "extra hot" for another, etc. Because the machine regulates the temps, it's not so dependent water temp coming out of the water heater. Our water heater is set pretty low to prevent accidental scalding. The machine will create the ideal temp by adding cold water or using the internal heater to make it hotter.

For my LG washing machine, these are the temps:

Cold = 77 degrees
Warm = 104 degrees
Hot = 122 degrees
Extra Hot = 158 degrees

I was under the impression that diapers that were laminated or PUL of any type were supposed to be washed in temperatures not exceeding 120 degrees. I've always used the hot setting and never have had a problem with stink or not getting clean enough. We've never had yeast, rash, or viral/bacterial illness so I've never needed to sanitize on a regular basis.

If we were using things like flats or prefolds, I might use the sanitary setting for stains. I usually sun though, so stains come out just fine.

HTH!
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote