Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #251
ncdav9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please Delete thread-comments are getting ugly!

PKU is a standard test, should be a prick with a lancet. If its a slice I would be asking some questions to people.

The jaundice test, should be just on the forhead(like the temperal lobe thermomters). And that should be it.

On another note, the circ issue, I dont have boys but I would not let other peoples personal issues with circs get to you. Your child. Do what you like.

I would speak to a doula and that way you have someone to carry out your wishes and what not while you are kinda out of the loop. And make sure you take a copy of your birth plan to the NICU/Nursery before you have the baby, and also make sure your nurse gets a copy when you arrive at the hospital, and your Dr has one in your file at his office. Stick to your guns, dont let them talk you into something you dont want done. And make sure you tell them everytime the baby is removed from the room that you want no tests done for any reason. You also have to sign concent forms at the hospital for anything to be done(you sign them when you first show up at the hospital, read through them carefully). It may be repetative while in the hospital till you are released but just keep telling them. Because some nurses do things out of habit. Make them put a note on his crib. They should also have special bracelets to put on him that they check, that should be no vax, or tests. HTH

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #252
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000 View Post
Where the heck is Rincon, GA? I was anxiously watching and waiting a few months ago when the legislature was talking about direct entry midwives but as I'd feared, it seems to have fizzled out. I wish they would get their heads out of their...I mean I wish they would change the regulations regarding midwives so that we could have freestanding birthing centers like in other states. It would be nice to have a middle ground kind of option between homebirth and hospital. I've heard that North Fulton hospital is sort of like that but when I mentioned that to dh he flipped! It is more than an hour away and the way my births have gone, we might as well go ahead and plan a homebirth because there's no way we're making it that far once we figure out I'm in labor! Anyway, I really do think that your OB/MW have as much to do with your experience as the hospital. With my first, it seemed like the OB kept telling me "it's hospital policy" and the nurses kept pointing the finger back at the OB. With James, I was really lucky that I had an awesome relationship with my MW and she was almost as b*tchy adamant as me when it came to standing up to the nurses and trying to ensure I had the experience I wanted.

The biggest thing to me is to know what kind of experience you want and make that clear to your dh and your OB/MW up front, but also be aware that you may have to be flexible. I was so lucky with my MW because she not only knew what I wanted, in most cases she knew why, so when things got a little crazy, she was able to use good judgement and figure out how to get through it in the way that would be most satisfying to me.
it is near Savannah
http://www.themidwifegroup.com/
Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #253
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mamma, I know you want this deleted, and I'm sure the last thing you want is another post, but I just had to add my .
Once you get past all the snarky comments, I think what you will see is that we all have a choice (to some degree). I'm eternally grateful for my healthy, happy baby. Would I choose to have some things differently with my next child? Heck, yeah. Would I go back and change anything with this one? Maybe not. It would also change who I am today as a mom, and I like my choices as a mom now.
I'm also thankful that we live in a place where we can debate these things so openly and (unfortunately) aggressively at time. I'm grateful to have the choice to debate, to choose how I raise my child, and to choose what I do with the next one.
Continue your research, and make YOUR choices. Feel comfortable with what you decide, but also know that you can't control everything and there may be some things that you can't keep from happening. If this happens, try to find a way to make peace with it (I didn't and ended up with awful PPD from it). Good luck in your journey.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #254
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very cool! That's about 4 hours from me so it's even worse than N. Fulton but it's nice to know it's there. It's been almost 2 years since I was looking but I didn't see anything about that then. GA has some really backwards rules about midwives and I had been told (by several midwives) that those rules precluded freestanding birthing centers (something crazy like OBs have to deliver in hospitals and CNMs have to work under OBs and lay MWs are not allowed to "practice medicine" so it all comes around to hospital or home). It looks like this birthing center is run by CNMs and OBs though...that's very cool. Now I just wish there was one near me...there's definitely a market...I know quite a few local mamas that have driven an hour or more to get to N. Fulton or pay exorbitant amounts of money to get a good midwife from the mountains to come down here. There are a few local homebirth MWs but I interviewed most (all?) of them and it just didn't work out. If I were going to do a homebirth, the MW I'd use is in Ellijay and that's about 100 miles north of me!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #255
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have your baby pricked, probed, and cut right after birth?

When they checked my Avery's billirubin levels for jaundice they use one of the poppers I call them, same stuff they used to check your sugar at the doctor's office in the finger, but this one is a larger blade and it's really a large gash!!!!
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #256
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have your baby pricked, probed, and cut right after birth?

Ummmm that's not exactly true. They had to get a LOT of blood when they checked dd's billirubin levels. It was like a full tube. I was right there. And all out of the heel. While yes it is a quick prick it's not just a tiny little needle and the gash is not just a little pin prick, it's a real gash. My dd's bled like crazy.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #257
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I spoke to my MW today about tests they routinely do to NBs and she referred me to the hospital pediatrician that handles all newborns that don't have peds specified as he would know all the nb procedures. Then I can talk to my ped about why they are necessary and the risks involved. You might want to try that. . .
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #258
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I just think it's very presumptuous of you to come on here and tell people that everything they know about their own situations is wrong!
Hey Barbara - I never did that, not even one time. You are confused. Go back and really read my posts and you'll see that.

I can't really comment much on most of what you wrote other than it didn't have much to do with me or anything I wrote, other than that some of it was incorrect assumptions and judgements about me.