Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #21
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BEST Infant Carseat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
If the kid falls asleep in the seat I'll leave her there. I have a 2 1/2 year old who did that many a-times as an infant and she's fine. She's dumping Kix out all over my livingroom as I type.

Honestly I think SIDS is one of those crappy blanket terms for infant death. It's used as a scare tactic and I think it's sick.

I had never heard of SIDS being caused by sleeping in an infant car seat until a couple weeks ago when we had a home visit with a nurse and this was something she was warning me about.... as well as it being caused by co-sleeping... I told her I had been co-sleeping for 13 years and all of my kids have been fine... she said she has to give the warnings to everyone. I didnt have a comment to her about the sleeping in car seats because unless they were asleep while we were driving they werent in the car seat sleeping.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
I had never heard of SIDS being caused by sleeping in an infant car seat until a couple weeks ago when we had a home visit with a nurse and this was something she was warning me about.... as well as it being caused by co-sleeping... I told her I had been co-sleeping for 13 years and all of my kids have been fine... she said she has to give the warnings to everyone. I didnt have a comment to her about the sleeping in car seats because unless they were asleep while we were driving they werent in the car seat sleeping.
I also read that pacifier usage drops the risk of SIDS by 90%..

Prenatal risks

* inadequate prenatal care
* inadequate prenatal nutrition
* tobacco smoking
* use of heroin
* teenage pregnancy
* subsequent births less than one year apart
* alcohol abuse

Post-natal risks

* low birth weight (especially less than 1.5 kg (~3.3 lb)
* exposure to tobacco smoke
* laying an infant to sleep on his or her stomach (see positional plagiocephaly)
* failure to breastfeed
* excess clothing and overheating
* excess bedding, soft sleep surface and stuffed animals
* sex (61% of SIDS cases occur in males)
* age (incidence rises from zero at birth, is highest from two to four months, and declines towards zero at one year)
* premature birth (increase risk of SIDS death by 50 times)

I could point out so many of those "risks" that are blatantly obvious as to why a child might die. Heroin? helllllooooo! That's called stupidity on the pregnant mothers part not SIDS. Soft bedding and stuffed animals - I would think that would fall under the kid suffocated on the bedding category. I could be totally wrong, but it just seems like a cop out of mass proportions to me.

Done thread jacking. Sorry

Last edited by ferrferr; 06-17-2007 at 04:05 PM.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #23
kdwyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Right now my LO in in a infant seat by Evenflo, but when it is time to move him he will move to a Britax seat, which we are using for my dd now. She will them move up a diffrent Britax. I love her seat, granted I hate if I ever have to move it from one car to another, but she even loves the seat she can see out the window in it

There are so many diffrent seats out there and Britax are costly but more and more people are investing in them....
kdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #24
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had the britax companion and loved it! the sip was great and kept his head upright and he was in it until he was 8mths old, he still fit the requirements and we could have continued using it but he wanted to sit upright so we moved onto the boulevard
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a Chicco Keyfit carrier and LOVED it!

The only thing is that those won't fit in most other carseats. They aren't built like the Gracos and whatnot, so they aren't a universal click in thing. I'm not sure if they have a double stroller for two Keyfits. But we only had one baby.

You might look into it though, the carrier rocked for us! Jack fit in it until he was 12 months!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I could get a hold of one of the European Britax infant seats, or any of the European infant seats... I'd go with one this time. The bases for the European versions have a pedestal that goes down to the floor of the car and provides more safety and stability than their otherwise identical US versions.

I still have DS's bucket seat but, unless the fit is totally horrible, we plan to use a Boulevard. With a Boulevard/Wizard, there is a knob to adjust the strap height, instead of the traditional slots, which makes it much simpler and easier to keep it adjusted properly. And it has a top tether that can be used while RF.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #27
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:

The "best" carseat is any which is USED CORRECTLY! Although 99% of parents believe their seats are used correctly, over 90% are not. 3 out of 5 kids' seats have 3 potentially fatal misuse errors Features to look for include: low bottom slots & high top slots, long shell/frame, energy absorbing foam.... Ease of use is otherwise subjective to each individual as is comfort : the various techs & advocates at www.car-seat.org are well versed on all of these issues. Foreign carseats are illegal & may also pose safety risks due to different vehicle compatility, instruction translation, etc. The U.S. has enough variations of options to keep the vast majority of kids very safe. Foreign seats should only be used when NHTSA approves a medical petition, such as for developmental issues or obesity, etc.

Breastfeeding or pacifyer use does reduce SIDS risk as per my SO's Medical Journal Watch Update (he's an OBGYN) SIDS is the leading cause of death before age one, crashes are the leading cause of death for all kids until 25-34 years old.

Last edited by Papooses; 06-18-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Papooses is offline   Reply With Quote