Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acronym really bothering me

I may or may not have used that term before, but in no way was I meaning it that someone who works outside of the home is NOT a full time mom.

Advertisement

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can understand this. I, too, and frustrated by the Mommy wars. I feel we women (as a whole) have enough on our plates. The last thing we need between us is divsion.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Personally, I always thought this acronym was referring to moms who perform mothering duties full time. Of course all mamas are "full-time" mothers, but those who work outside the home aren't physically with their kids full time. That's what I took it to mean, anyway - denoting a physical prescence. It would really bother me if people actually felt like mothers who work aren't full time mothers. Do people really think that? Wow.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

I have used it before but in the I needed a title kind of thing. When we are out and about and someone asks what you do for a living Moms who work outside the home can say "Teacher... Lawyer... Doctor..." you know. But as a SAHM I dont have that label. And the one time I said SAHM I got the response "oh so you do nothing..."... So I started saying Full Time Mom or Home Maker. It was never in a mean way just an I want a title to way...lol
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I've never ever in my entire life met a woman who was with her children "full-time". Ever. Even the woman in my MIL's church who wouldn't let anyone except her husband (even close family members) hold her children still went to the hospital three times to have other children and leaves her kids in the nursery at church (with her husband) and leaves them to go grocery shopping (they stay with her husband). Home maker is not offensive, why not use it instead?
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
mimieliza
Registered Users

It bothers me, too. I am still a mother when I go to work, and I am still "mothering" my children - by providing for them. Also, I chose their care providers with utmost care, and I am involved in their care (I serve on the board of directors for the preschool).

But it goes both ways - SAHM is problematic because lots of SAHMs spend all day out and about - they don't just stay home, especially as their kids get older. I asked a neighbor if she worked, and she said, "No, I don't work." Then we both laughed because she stays at home with four children (including triplets) - of course she works!

The other thing that bothers me is that I really feel that reducing it to SAHM vs. WOHM is overly simplistic. There are so many ways that families find to balance work and home duties - part time work, shift work, fathers who stay home with kids (either full or part time), working from home, etc.
mimieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I hovered really quick & I thought you were talking about transgendered people...Female To Male .
Me, too!
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2bugnbugga View Post
I have actually used this term when talking to some of my family members. I call my sister and my BIL a Monday-Friday mom/dad. What I mean is, every friday after school, my niece goes to a grandparent or close relative for the night. My sister gets her Saturday around noon for about 5 hours, then takes her to another relative and gets her Sunday just before dinner time and takes her home. During the week, my sister is a gymnastics coach, so my mom picks up my niece from school and keeps her until my sister gets off work then she picks her up. My BIL is home during all of these times and chooses not to take my niece because "she gets in the way of his relaxation time". She has no idea what it is like to be a full time mom. She has never had to do it before.
So you are saying that there are full time moms and 'part time' moms?
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
welovetherain
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't see why, it's just a clever way to say you're a mom with the kids around the clock. But we all seem to let things pile up on us from time to time and that's when some things get to us when at other times they wouldn't even phase us
welovetherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #20
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut*

So you are saying that there are full time moms and 'part time' moms?
I definitely think there are part time parents. My brother and ex-sister in law have 50/50 custody and both have told me in more ways than one that they are half-time parents. I think it's a piss poor attitude.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote