View Poll Results: would you go to the ER for a non emergency?
yes, I would do anything for my kid 12 10.17%
no, ER's are for emergencies 84 71.19%
other, because there should always be an other 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #61
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC
i find it hard to believe that in chicago the closest urgent care is an hour away! thats rediculous! we have 8 within 20 minutes of me..i am in oak lawn (sw chi burb).

next time could you try a walgreens care clinic or cvs clinic? those are all over chicago.
I don't mean to ask a dumb question but we don't have these here at all. CVS has a doctors office? And what is the difference between urgent care & a walk in clinic?

Advertisement

ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #62
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: would you take your kid to the ER knowing it's not an emergency

CVS has a walk in clinic with NPs called Minute Clinic.

http://www.minuteclinic.com/

There are 26 in the Chicago area, and 19 in NJ...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-31-2011 at 09:05 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #63
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I don't mean to ask a dumb question but we don't have these here at all. CVS has a doctors office? And what is the difference between urgent care & a walk in clinic?
Its not a full doctors office and probably more of a nurse deal but good for infections and other basic issues.

CVS Clinic:

http://www.minuteclinic.com/

(Now, I never have gone to one as the ER was quicker for me and free. I walked in and they had a ton of people and the wait was hours so I went up the street to the ER instead).

Walmart Clinic:

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Walmart-Clinics/1078904

**Some were set up, I think Walmart to target people who had no insurance but needed affordable health care and could reasonably private pay.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #64
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thats the gist of walgreens and cvs - its burse practitioners but they can diagnose and prescribe for basic infections and rashes. They might have minimum age limits though (our urgent care down the street wont see anyone till 18 months old).

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #65
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada87 View Post
Peanuts tush is looking so much better today. It still is worse than it has ever been but now most of it is very pick rather then bright red. She does have a few raw spots that I am keeping my eye on. Our copay is $150 for er visits so while its crazy expensive it wouldn't break the bank (thanks fto the emergency fund). Today I realise that I was kinda over reacting last night so I'm glad I didn't go.
Thanks for all the suggestions, we actually don't use cloth right now (well for the last 5 months actually) so its not because I haven't been killing it in the diapers. I haven't been using TTO constantly I just threw that back in because it seemed to get the best results.
We actually see a GP not a pedi and they don't usually call back if you call the after hours number. I'm planning to switch drs but we are planning to move out of state this year (spring next year at the latest) so I was hoping to avoid that hassle until then.
DD had a couple of raw spots that were not getting better and Tuesday they were looking infected so I called the ped's office to ask the nurse what I should do and she told me to bring her in and be seen by her ped. She had a secondary infection. These were likely a couple of scratched from her grabbing at herself during a diaper change that got infected. Got a script from the doc for an antibiotic ointment and within a day it had improved GREATLY. Only issue is that DH used it last night and then put her in a Fuzzibunz (AFTER I told him to ONLY use the disposables while we use this stuff) so hopefully he didn't ruin it. *sigh* Anyway, wanted to mention that to anyone who might run into this.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #66
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDADof4 View Post
I would do anything to ensure my child's safety and health.
This! and if the child is in bad pain or non-stop crying because of it.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #67
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
Have you tried a baking soad/oatmeal bath? Its really soothing, and can help clear it up a bit. I would not be wiping her bum at all, I would stick her in the tub every time (a PITA I know, but worth it) or use my shower head to spray her off, then let her have as much nekkid time as possible! Tey not to wipe her bum at all, let it air dry, use a blowdryer or pat dry if need be!
Wonderful comfort measures I TOTALLY swear by the hairdryer on 'low' or 'air' setting.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #68
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:

For the rash, the dr said to give ds a bath with epsom salts 4 times a day and let him soak for 20 minutes every time for 10 days along with putting the prescription cream on right after the bath. It did the trick for us.

For the ER queston: I'd say it depends on what's wrong with a child. Here, if the dr's office is closed you can call their after hours answering service and the dr on call will call you back within 10 minutes and you can discuss the problem with them and decide what to do. My experience has been that the dr always tells me that if in doubt, take them in to the ER just to be safe. One reason- they don't do stitches or Xrays at the office. If it may require either of those things ER is your only choice. Otherwise an UrgentCare office if you have one is ok. We actually just got an UrgentCare this spring so before that EVERYONE went to ER for EVERYTHING!