Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Do *I* really need these ultrasounds?

Wait, are they wanting to do a BPP sort of thing to establish growth rate, or just to see actual size? If it were just for size, I wouldn't bother. They're so inaccurate in either direction. If it's for growth restriction worries, or to establish baby is growing properly (usually 2 U/S in a couple of weeks), then I would.

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #22
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I think ultrasounds for size are ridiculous, because they're never totally accurate. I only plan to have 1 with my next kiddo (if all goes as planned, of course.) - around 20 weeks so I can know the sex and tell if his/her organs are developing properly. I would only get as many as you're comfortable with.
The thing is ultrasounds for size are not always ridiculous. If you go in for a growth scan at say 32 weeks like I did and then go in at 34 weeks and there is no growth, I mean NOTHING, and then go back a few days later or even a week later, then there is a IUGR thing going on. I wish people would realize that yes u/s can be off on size up or down, BUT if the baby is not growing, there is an issue there and an ultrasound can detect that. Often times in people who have blood pressure, clotting,etc disorders they will be watched for this because having an IUGR baby is not a walk in the park and is really dangerous to the baby. I do get what you are saying because we hear of women who are scared into sections all the time because of a too large baby that comes out 6#. But that is not always the case and we have to be careful about giving advice like that because there are reasons for growth scans outside of dx a macrosomic babe.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That makes much more sense. I'm personally against u/s for SIZE, but definitely can be warranted for GROWTH - two very different things for sure.

Good luck!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
Argonaut8
Registered Users
seller

I was on lovenox with my last pregnancy due to a blood clotting disorder, and I got frequent ultrasounds (I think they were about as often as my regular appointments--once a month for a while, increasing to every other week once I hit the third tri, then weekly as we got even closer..). The concern with clotting problems is that the placenta can get clotted up and restrict growth or even cause stillbirth, so that's what they're checking up on with all the ultrasounds. I had just been through a few miscarriages (which is why they tested me for and diagnosed the disorder), so personally I was happy to get the ultrasounds and be reassured everything was fine.

(And everything WAS fine--we induced at 39 weeks and he was a big healthy 9lb7oz.. But, in the last year I've been tested again twice for the antibody responsible for the disorder and they've found no trace of it, so I'm starting to wonder if I was misdiagnosed in the first place and if the lovenox/ultrasounds/induction were unnecessary for me. But with your DVT, there's definitely legitimate cause for concern.)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut8 View Post
I was on lovenox with my last pregnancy due to a blood clotting disorder, and I got frequent ultrasounds (I think they were about as often as my regular appointments--once a month for a while, increasing to every other week once I hit the third tri, then weekly as we got even closer..). The concern with clotting problems is that the placenta can get clotted up and restrict growth or even cause stillbirth, so that's what they're checking up on with all the ultrasounds. I had just been through a few miscarriages (which is why they tested me for and diagnosed the disorder), so personally I was happy to get the ultrasounds and be reassured everything was fine.
Yep this.

I too have a clotting disorder (2 actually - Factor V Leiden and MTHFR) and I have a history of blood clots. I have to take the Lovenox my entire pregnancy. I had a lot of ultrasounds with my DD - towards the very end I had them once a week, just Biophysical Profiles though. When you're high risk, it's a little different, KWIM?

With this pregnancy, I am going to a different OB/GYN office. They have done 1 ultrasound so far, at my first appointment, and I don't have another scheduled yet - probably won't until the 20 week anatomy scan. For my blood clotting condition, it makes more sense to do more towards the end of the pregnancy - that's when things can start to go south.

Do you know if you have a clotting disorder? Were you tested?

Good luck!!
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #26
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Wait, are they wanting to do a BPP sort of thing to establish growth rate, or just to see actual size? If it were just for size, I wouldn't bother. They're so inaccurate in either direction. If it's for growth restriction worries, or to establish baby is growing properly (usually 2 U/S in a couple of weeks), then I would.
I believe she's already said that it was for monitoring more than just size of the baby. Her dr explained that whoever told her it was size was just giving her a quick explanation but it's to monitor the baby.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut8 View Post
The baby can also get a blood clot in the umbillical cord causing still birth.