Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Vitamin D

So, how many of you were diagnosed with low vitamin D levels after your first prenatal appt with blood test? Just curious. My DR declared mine low and wanted to call in a high dose supplement which I refused. Working in a pharmacy this seems like THE next thing to prescribe and my research has shown me that high levels of vitamin D can cause fetal harm and there is no conclusive evidence as to how much is too much. So, for me the answer was an easy NO, thank you... I will work on some natural ways to increase my D levels.

Advertisement

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Vitamin D

with the summer approaching, I would get natural vitamin D from the sun.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Catlynn
Registered Users
seller

I've read and heard that cod liver oil has all of the vitamin d's in it! XD And sun is my favorite way to get vitamin d for sure! ^_^
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

Not by my doctor but by my mother's doctor, I was told that the Vit D that you get from the son is not absorbed as well as most people think. So if you are that low, the sun may not be the best route.

Again, I did not hear it myself and was shocked to hear the news. LOL. Just research it. Doesn't your prenatal have Vit D?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm on a vit D supplement that was started before my pregnancy. I know my levels were very low, I did have actual side effects from it including depression. My side effects have faded with treatment, and I feel much better about being pregnant now that I've taken care of that, and I will continue my supplement. Natural sources such as sunlight were not even close to enough for me for some reason. I even had a slight tan when I got my bloodwork done! Guess my body just has a hard time with it.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, it is true that with our (americans in general) current diet and fear of sun exposure, vitamin D doesn't get absorbed well. One would definitely need to understand how to go about getting it naturally to gain the best results. Research, research,research... Which I have done! We prefer natural methods versus just popping a pill to *fix* a deficiency. Obviously this isn't what *most* people choose and that is fine for them. This is how WE have chosen to approach most things.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
audreyr
Registered Users
seller

There's some interesting new research on high doses of Vit. D during pregnancy.
http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100...cy-risk?page=2
Evolutionarily, humans were outside all day every day. In most modern lives we are lucky to catch an hour or two a day and many women wear sunscreen. However, I'm sure that if you are aware of the situation you can get enough naturally, after all we survived before supplements.