Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Lets talk about SOY and infants

My sister's boss has a son who is my sister's age (late 20's). He was soy formula fed and has issues with his pectoral tissue. He basically has very swollen "man boobs" that will not go away. Doctors told her it was the estrogen in the soy.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nak here so can't read all posts so maybe someone said this already but the Weston A Price foundation has amazing info on soy and soy formula. So does Dr Mercola. Just google them you'll get plenty of articles.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

About the hitting puberty early....My older sister got her period at 16 years old, and I got mine at 11 years old... And don't siblings usually get them around the same age? I was soy formula fed, she was dairy formula fed.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #24
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do soy in moderation. I despise cow's milk and my youngest can't drink cow milk. I make sure it is not GMO though and buy organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
So what are alternatives? My DD has a milk protein allergy and a nut allergy, should I just switch her to rice milk?
For my youngest who can't drink cow milk, he prefers the taste of soy but to cut down on the amount of soy he gets, I usually do half and half soy and organic coconut milk (we buy So Delicious brand) or organic almond milk (almonds are sprayed with like 9 pesticides so I think getting this organic is important for us). I myself don't like rice milk so I never bothered giving it to him

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

For what it is worth DH was fed mostly soy formula for the first 6 YEARS of his life. He was severely allergic to a plethora of foods and basically subsisted on rice and soy formula until he was 6. He has no ill effects from it. During my fertility issues DH had a SA done, and the results were "above average".
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #26
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
So what are alternatives? My DD has a milk protein allergy and a nut allergy, should I just switch her to rice milk?

~*Lucy*~
Loving wife and a devoted mama to 13: three in my arms
(Hayden, Felicity and Teagan), and ten in heaven.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My understanding of the research is that the soy "problems" being brought up are more related to processed soy than whole soy. And, of course, formula is generally made from soy protein isolate, a highly processed soy.

The current recommendation from the AAP is that infants not be given soy formula unless parents have a religious/philosophical belief system that prohibits the use of dairy product. If babies cannot be EBF and cannot tolerate regular dairy formula, they should use a hypoallergenic formula like Alimentum. If even that causes an allergic issue, they need an elemental formula.

Personally, I would not give my kids soy milk. While we do use soy food products, we try to limit them to whole soy or small quantities of processed soy.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

Being a vegetarian I used to eat a LOT of soy - think veggie burgers and other fake meats, tofu and soy milk.

According to my ped (who has done a lot of research on the topic) soy is not a healthy food. It is a very rich source of isoflavones which produce estrogen like effects in the body.

In the US a lot of soy for consumption is processed. Countries like Japan consume more fermented soy which from what I have heard is a healthier form of it.

I have not done too much research on the topic and I am just sharing what my pediatrician told me. I also don't have any of the issues you mentioned in your first post, but since I cut out soy I have more energy and my mood swings and depression are gone. That is my personal experience.
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote