Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
sallyjean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 yr old w/ lots of teeth-how to brush them

I love these...

http://www.firstbrush.com/

It's a baby toothbrush designed to be chewed.

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 14 months and she usually is very easy about it. I say "Let me brush your teeth" and she opens her mouth for me. But sometimes she just squirms and whines and only wants to chew on the toothbrush, so then I just pin her down and do it really quickly. But, I just use water, am I supposed to be using a baby toothpaste at this age?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I brush my kids teeth as soon as the first one comes in,before that we brushed there gums with a gum brush 3 times a day. My kids LOVE to brush there teeth for the most part. Ds went through a stage where he HATED it and i just pinned him down and brushed them 3 times a day anyway. I even packed dd a a tooth brush and tooth paste in her lunch box.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

DS brushes his teeth with a motorized brush every night. How well he does it on some days is a different story. We are more concerned that he get the routine down than how well he does it. He hasn't had any issues with cavities in the year or so he's been brushing his own teeth.

DD has 4 teeth and I'm only now starting to brush them.

I had my first cavity at 4. I was born with a crooked jaw and a very narrow palate. It is hard to brush certain teeth even now after my surgery to correct the problem. My son may have my jaw deformity but it seems very slight. If he does, he'll get cavities and there won't be a whole lot we can do about it.

I'm just not stressing about baby teeth. None of my cavities ever affected the permanent teeth and I have never had any gum problems. Hopefully, the same is true for the both of them.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 16 month old has a full set of teeth (he has basically been teething nonstop since 9 months)...he's working on his first set of molars right now. Also, we have to give hime iron supplements for anemia which makes his teeth kind of gray and is worse when we don't brush.
We use a Thomas the Train spinbrush which is ok or our Oral B Braun brush which actually works way better because the brush head is so small and it has a lower speed setting. DS seems to like the electric brushes. We started with a finertip brush but then he just tried to eat my finger and with a regular brush he bites it really hard and I can'r get anything clean. He opens up for the electric brush nicely and "helps" us brush. When we want to be very thorough we lie him down an DH plays with his head and hands so I can brush without all his "assistance."
The dentist didn't say anything one way or another about an electric brush. I like it too because I think he will be more tolerant of them polishing his teeth at the dentist, etc in the future.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

We started with a fingertip brush and beginner's toothpaste when the first few teeth came in. At around a year we graduated to a toddler toothbrush with a smidge of regular toothpaste, we've used the spin brushes too, but they just kept breaking. Since a little before a year old DS has been showering with me or DH nightly. We just sit him between our legs and give his teeth a good brushing. Right now he is going through a phase where he doesn't want us to brush his teeth, but he has no choice in the end, until he shows us that he can do it on his own, which we always allow him to try. He still chews and sucks the the toothpaste off.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Preface: our DS is 16 months and has 8 teeth on bottom and some number between 5 and 7 on top....he doesn't let me check very often!

Since DS loves "brushing" his teeth like mommy and daddy (actually he's getting better at the brushing motion when he's actually watching us brush), we have a deal. He gets to hold the toothbrush after one of us gets to do a quick brush, top and bottom. I'm not getting as long as I'd like to actually brush, but I'm hoping his efforts help make up the difference.

If you have a do-it-myself like our LO, these kinds of trades definitely help!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When do you switch to adult tooothpaste? DS has all but two teeth in now.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #19
an_aurora
Registered Users

All three of mine use the Burt's Bees or Tom's of Maine flouride-free kids toothpaste.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #20
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The dentist told me the best thing to do is to sit on the toilet and put him on my lap straddling me and lay him down (so his head would be around my knees and would naturally open up slightly). That way the legs are out of your way and you can see what you're doing. It was pretty non stressful for The Kid and when it was obvious he had no problems with me diddlying around in his teeth I started sitting him on the bathroom counter and brushing his teeth (I'd brush my teeth, then give him my brush and let him brush my teeth. Then I'd brush his teeth and give him his brush and let him brush his teeth.).
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote