Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Career crossroads...what would you do?

My leave is coming to an end and I'm faced with the reality of going back to my high stress corporate job. However, I may have an opportunity to create a position where I could work from home full-time or part-time. I LOVE work and going back PT has helped me realize this. However, I also am passionate about being as involved in my child's rearing as possible (which I honestly didn't expect to be the case - at least in the baby years!). The possibility of creating a part-time position is so tempting. It would be a demotion several rungs down the corporate ladder, but would also eliminate some of the stress (reality check - I'd be stressed out no matter what the position so it's not like it will be stress free. I'm type A... I have to learn to deal with me!!). It would launch me into another area of the company that I am interested in learning. It would also mean a lot less money. I'd miss managing people. I'd miss the promotion/raise I have coming this summer. I'd miss the high profile "importance" of the job I have now. I'm certainly praying about this with my husband. My job is our bread and butter but we live very simply, so even with the salary cut it would be doable (with some sacrifices, of course!).

Any input, ladies?

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Career crossroads...what would you do?

Could you job-share in your current position to create a part-time job with the same duties? Find someone to work TR and you work MWF? Could you telecommute for two days out of the five? When you are making the decision don't just think about what is happening right now if you are Type A. Think about how it will affect your career in the long run. Will the demotion reflect well on your resume when you are ready to start climbing the ladder again?
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
BabyDiaperService
Registered Users
seller

I heard a lot of things that you would miss. How much would you miss them? Would the PT opportunity, to learn a new area of the company, allow you to later get back all that you missed at a pace that is acceptable to you?

Nothing is permanent. When one door closes another one opens. Your skills are always going to be there. If the decision to move to PT does not work out, you move on. It is all in the way you write your resume.

Situations that create stress will always be there as change is constant. If you cannot change you (Type-A), then you need to change the situation.
BabyDiaperService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

In a nutshell, I think if you have the opportunity to be around your child more while still pursuing some of your career goals, you should take it. 6 months or a year from now, you could always change up the job again but you can never go back and get that time with your child back.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
In a nutshell, I think if you have the opportunity to be around your child more while still pursuing some of your career goals, you should take it. 6 months or a year from now, you could always change up the job again but you can never go back and get that time with your child back.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
ITA!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
BabyDiaperService
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
BabyDiaperService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I think I needed working moms (not just current SAHMs) to come alongside and encourage me on the mommy front! We're working through the finances and I don't know how on earth this will work, but we're praying about it and will see what happens!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Ok. This is said with the fact that I'm trying to talk dh into another baby and letting me go to school on-line full time and switch from Active Duty AF to Reserves.

There are quite a few positives if you decide to continue working full-time. I'm a better Mommy when I get a break from being a Mommy. When I come home 100% of my attention is focused on him even if it means that he has to help me do chores like cooking and the laundry. And I'm usually very impatient with everythign, but so happy to see him that my tolerance goes way way up.

Money- I really like not having to worry about it. We'll have our house paid off in three years if I continue full time. Both our cars are paid off. DS owns anything and everything a child could possible want. If I want a new bag or a new pair of shoes there isn't any guilt that I'm spending too much money. We are never late on any bills and if one of our friends or family *needed* money, we could afford to lend it to them. We go on soooo many vacations and trips that I'm worn out and it's only June.

Us time- dh and I have an opportunity to have lunch with each other every M-F and every other Friday we are given the opportunity to use daycare though we don't work. We've only used it during his naps so far, but it's nice to know that we can go do something and have no worries about leaving him with someone who isn't qualified.

DS education- our child is smart. We knew he was going to be, but I didn't realize how very very smart he was going to be. While I am a fantastic mother, teaching is not really my strongpoint. At two ds knew way more than I did when I went to kindergarten and while I teach him things at home, I don't think he could have possibly got to where he is at three without their help at daycare. He's tried different food, plays with kids that are very different, and sees/hears/learns so many things there that he wouldn't be exposed to if I was a SAHM.

DS Schedule- at first it aggravated me that we had to make our schedule on the weekends and holidays and leave days match the daycares. They eat at a certain time, nap, learn and play all on a schedule. He knows what's coming next and is very very good about doing what we need him to do as long as we don't mess things up. I love that.

There are many things that I would change about the way I raised my son up to this point, but WOH would not be one of them. Maybe if I could work for fewer hours, I would have done that, but I don't think I could give it up completely.

Let me know if you want the flaws too, but I have a feeling you already know what those are....
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Listen to your heart and remember changing your dream is not failure.