Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #51
Pixiedust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think that BumGenius is unfair to Canadians

I agree that the price difference is outrageous on BG diapers. Unfortunately they are our favourties! We send aplix to daycare and use snaps at home. I just purchased a few from Cozy Bums in BC. They have the 4.0's on for $20 and change. They hardly ever go on sale either which is totally annoying.

It seems like Fuzzi Bunz are always on sale and if not you can order them form the US. I have never paid duty or extra taxes and I order form the US frequently.

Advertisement

Pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #52
noodlesforever
Registered Users

If you like the BG 3.0 AIO, they are getting discontinued and are on sale at most retailers including cottonbabies for those who live close to the border.
noodlesforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #53
corrabelle
Registered Users

When american retailers "can't" ship to Canada, I order and have it shipped to a US address, and then just go pick it up. (there's actually a postal outlet with this name, US ADDRESS, specifically for Canadians who encounter this problem.)
I only live about an hour from the border though, so this is an option. If we lived further it wouldn't be so easy.

I've also very rarely had to pay duty. Even when bringing over alcohol-they hardly ever charge us.
corrabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #54
TishToshBaby
Registered Users

Although the restrictions are extremely frustrating, I agree that the cost would be virtually the same if you paid actual duties and taxes. Shop locally support Canadians and take advantage of the fast shipping times.

We live in Canada We get health care no matter what! Thats what taxes are for
TishToshBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #55
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Did you ever hear anything back???
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #56
KWDiaperCo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan View Post
So I've done a bit of research...

If BumGenius made all of it's products in the USA, there would be no duty at all under the NAFTA. Unfortunately, because they are "Designed by a mom and conscientiously manufactured in the USA or Egypt." and aren't guarenteed to be made in the USA, duty can apply.

As well, "most products that are sent to a Canadian and worth CDN$20 or less are not subject to duties or taxes. Exceptions to this exemption include: tobacco, books, periodicals, magazines, alcohol, and goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or intermediary. Items valued at more than $20 are subject to GST, HST and PST, as well as duties if the goods are not manufactured in North America." So, if I just wanted to order one diaper, or a few Flip inserts, there would be no taxes or duty - legally.

Unfortunately, BG won't let us do this.

Most of my cloth diaper supplies have been bought from a great Canadian retailer, and I have found the prices *close* to the American ones - except for BG. I think that retailers should be able to decide what to charge, and who to sell too. It's just a frustrating situation and I wanted to vent.
For cloth diapers coming into canada, for the most part there are no taxes or duties.
We import from Asia and Europe, if we can classify it as a reusable child's diaper, we don't get dinged.

I can't determine what or why this practice is in place for bumGenius.

We will be launching a website selling a single line of industry-standard diapers, our mission is to bring cloth diapering to the public while skipping the want or need for large margins.
KWDiaperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #57
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in Wisconsin and would happily help my friends across the border obtain bg or any other cloth diapering supplies at a cheaper price.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #58
newtocloth07
Registered Users

My Mood:

I see this is old now that I scroll though...thought I'd let you know though- I'm located in Canada and sell B.G in my online boutique...we ship all over Canada and we have competitive pricing with cotton babies themselves [who is our actual supplier]..

email me if you're interested in visiting our site

Solar Energy Producing, Cloth diapering [and cloth diaper boutique owner] , composting, recycling, urban cowgirl.

Last edited by newtocloth07; 06-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
newtocloth07 is offline   Reply With Quote