Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #111
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolstamomma View Post
I love this. I actually skip the rinse only step and do two washes both with Tide. The first is warm & the second is hot. I felt that the cold just wasn't getting everything clean enough!
Question about the bleach -- is this just for help with stains? We don't really ever use bleach b/c it never works for things like white sheets or baseball pants (darn those things are imposible to get stains out of!!)
Bleach is especially good for "microfiber stink". I don't really use it unless I'm dealing with that, or once in a while just because I'm in the mood. I've had situations where my microfiber inserts were holding onto stinkies so bad (think toddler poo ) that my regular wash routine wasn't doing it for some of them. So I added a 1/4 cup of bleach and voila! They smelled brand new.

Advertisement

SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #112
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never noticed any big diff when I didn't know better and ussed softner in the beginning, lol. I really didn't. I don't use it now though. The dryer makes mine nice and soft!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #113
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
The dryer makes mine nice and soft!
Oh and this is another big issue I have this idea that its unsafe to use a dryer. W9th the exception of wool there is really not reason to be concerned. If one prefers to line dry fine if you hav a crappy dryer that melts cotton be adviced but common diapers covers ect in a standard dryer will last jsut fine yes even on high heat. I have some diapers that are now going on there 6th year of high heat drying with all intact elastic zero pul issues and all the other things others worry about.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #114
mama2v
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, just read the entire thread because I recently switched to this wash routine because of annoying stinkies! Unfortunately, I STILL have them

It's now only in the overnight dipes I use for my almost 3 and almost 1 year old, but I can't seem to shake them. I haven't tried bleach though, so that will be my next step. It's SOOOO frustrating to wash and strip and wash and strip (I've thrown in Dawn, calgon (we have hard water), washing soda and oxyclean) and STILL smell SOMETHING stinky when they come out...EEEWWW! Anyway, thanks for the thread and I'll be adding some bleach next load to see if that works!
mama2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #115
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
Oh and this is another big issue I have this idea that its unsafe to use a dryer. W9th the exception of wool there is really not reason to be concerned. If one prefers to line dry fine if you hav a crappy dryer that melts cotton be adviced but common diapers covers ect in a standard dryer will last jsut fine yes even on high heat. I have some diapers that are now going on there 6th year of high heat drying with all intact elastic zero pul issues and all the other things others worry about.
This made me LOL!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #116
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2v View Post
Okay, just read the entire thread because I recently switched to this wash routine because of annoying stinkies! Unfortunately, I STILL have them

It's now only in the overnight dipes I use for my almost 3 and almost 1 year old, but I can't seem to shake them. I haven't tried bleach though, so that will be my next step. It's SOOOO frustrating to wash and strip and wash and strip (I've thrown in Dawn, calgon (we have hard water), washing soda and oxyclean) and STILL smell SOMETHING stinky when they come out...EEEWWW! Anyway, thanks for the thread and I'll be adding some bleach next load to see if that works!
With hard water you need to use more that the recommended detergent to get things clean.
But, 1/2 cup bleach should do the trick!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #117
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
With hard water you need to use more that the recommended detergent to get things clean.
But, 1/2 cup bleach should do the trick!
A few other things to watch for
1) aggitation the more those diapers can be knocked around the better don't go for delicate cycles but for whatever will really aggitate and get the grime out

2) watch out to not under or over load.. Washing say 5 diapers at a time is basically a waste the diapers do well if they can rub against each other it helps to scrub basically.. At the same time too many and the water and detergent wont do its job. I find one standard pail (kitchen size trash can) or one hanging wet bags worth of diapers/covers wipes to be the perfect amount for our XL capicity washed. Othes might do better with more or less

3) watch out for cloth diaper sasuage rolls. You know the drill with using a sposies if pooy we roll it up fasten the tabs over to keep the mess in? Often then incasing inside a waterproof bag.. Sometimes especially if away from home or if my DH deals with a poopy diaper often we get the CD equivlent the rolled up and wraped with a cover diaper that gets tossed into a pail all bunched up and though a prerinse cycle is used sometimes it just doesn't come loose like it should so after the whole wash cycle those end up still smelly..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #118
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
3) watch out for cloth diaper sasuage rolls.

I am SO glad I ate my breakfast BEFORE I read this post lol lol.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #119
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah to this post! I wish I had read this the day I started CDing. It would have saved me so much time and our household so much water and energy!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #120
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like what you wrote and will have to try that. It all makes sense...