Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
archiveanne
Registered Users

My Mood:
Okay, I'm glad I found this thread!! My ds (almost 18 months) hates the sippies. He used to like them. We even went two days without the bottle, except right before bed (he doesn't go down to sleep with one, never had one in the crib. I just don't want to clean that up!!). THEN he got sick, fever, ear infection, just miserable for a week. And now he refuses the sippies.

I always present him with his milk in a sippie or a bottle with a sippie nipple (that worked twice and he was onto me!). He will throw a fit, cry, scream, throw the cup multiple times and be miserable. I just give up and put it in a bottle because I'm pregnant and just can't deal!! He eats like a bird most of the time so I want to make sure he's getting SOMETHING...Which is milk.

I've tried different types and the one that he will accept the best so far are those cheapo "take n toss" ones. But if he wants his bottle...watch out!!

I guess I'm just glad I'm not the only one whose toddler hates sippies. (but for the record he love his Sigg water bottle and my Camelback straw bottle!) oh and he drinks water out of a sippie/water bottle.

Sent from my iPhone-please ignore silly autocorrect mistakes!

Advertisement

Anne-momma to Jack (12/09) and wife to Jack (8/03). #2 due 11/21/11

Check out Archive Gifts on facebook for deals, sales, and fun!
I make plain white things more colorful! Just ask if you want something tie dyed!!
archiveanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
mkrisel
Registered Users

We just moved and our 15 month old can't/won't take a sippy. The bottles are comfort for her. No paci. I wouldn't have taken the bottles away when we moved because the move was hard on her. She was fine once we were settled, but the chaos of packing and unpacking was difficult. She needed the stability and comfort from her bottles. But your lo might do fine with the move.
Good luck!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style?

you think you feel bad? DD didnt give hers up til a month ago. She's 3.
yeah....I know.....
I just told her no more and gave her a sippy that she could lay down with (her main issue with giving up the bottle). we had no problems at all.
I wish I had done it earlier but I can't go back. Though I am grateful we missed all the screaming and fighting that would have ensued if I had tried when she was 1.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
My daughter was off the breast by 12 months. Off daytime bottles by 12 months as well. Didn't kick the nighttime bottle until she was 21 months.

One night, she was teething really bad, wanting nothing to do with the bottle. So, I didn't give her one.

She never asked for it again.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Thanks to all you mamas! It's just reassuring to know I'm not the only one. He's been doing well... he takes a sippy all day long, but right before bed and in the morning he's still asking for them so we've given them. He did ask for one the other day about 4pm but we weren't home, I was at a friends, and gave him one of her daughters sippy's with milk in it and he was fine with it. So... I think we'll just let him decide when to give it up.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
First off...no judgement please...

Yds is 18mo tomorrrow and still attached to his bottles. I haven't even really tried to take them away. It's the lazy mother in me. We move into our new house in 2 weeks. So I'm thinking of "forgetting" them. Has anyone done this and been successful? Is it mean?!
Our DS is 25 months old and still has at least one bottle a day. Sometimes it has just milk in it and sometimes he insists on having the formula is baby sister is having, but he definitely still drinking a bottle.

I don't see any reason to stop that. He drinks just fine out of cups and sippies. To him, a bottle is just another kind of cup.

He'll stop using one when he is ready. My guess is when we have #3 next year that he'll still want a bottle since his two younger siblings will still be on ba-bas too.

You could go cold turkey, but if you wear thin of any resulting tantrums, you may want to back off from that resolution. Just leave your options open.

Good luck!

Last edited by JAG's baby mama; 06-12-2011 at 08:57 AM.
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote