Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #81
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

thanks I am totally getting it on my kindle

Advertisement

USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #82
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Older people still trust dr's more than themselves and will take 5 Rx's even if they don't know why because their dr said so. Until you have a bad experience, most people don't really know any better than to trust your dr.
This is my grandmother to a T. She never questions, and it never occurs to her to even think of getting a second opinion. She is appalled that I would even consider doing medical research on my own, because the doctor knows best. She was also mortified that I interviewed doctors before choosing one for my kids. In her day, you went to your hometown doctor, and you did what was told.

Thanks for the book suggestion (Henrietta Lacks) - I have added it to my library list.

As for the topic at hand, DS1 received eye ointment and Vit K at birth. I had him in a hospital, and I was a FTM. I didn't research them, and I don't even really think I realized that that happened. I had DD and DS2 in a FSBC with midwives, and I had to sign a consent form to refuse/accept them, so that is when I decided to research. I decided against them, and I am happy with my decision. My ped with DD gave me a *really* hard time about it, even going so far as to tell me that he "didn't know where I got my information from, but it was all wrong", as he gave me a CDC pamphlet and continued to belittle me at her first and last appointment with him. Our current ped didn't say anything, but I felt much more confident in my decision this time. I was ready for a 'fight' with her, if need be.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #83
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I hope you ladies enjoy the book as much as I did! I read it on the kindle too.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #84
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My m/w practice tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia at the beginning of the pregnancy and then again at 36 weeks when they do the GBS test. You can deny the second test if you'd like, but they feel it gives you less of a fight if you decline the eye ointment. I had my second test last Friday and plan to decline the "goop".

So far I also plan on declining the vit K shot as well. We don't circ and assuming we do not have a traumatic birth, I don't really see the need.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #85
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's exactly considered a traumatic birth? My babies have almost ALL had bruising to some extent, some more than others, but I wouldn't consider any of their births traumatic.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #86
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I think a traumatic birth is more like...shoulder dystocia, broken bones/clavicle, use of forceps, maybe vacuum use...things like that.
If my baby had some bruising I would be more than comfortable using the oral dose.

And I would totally get a second StD test later in the pregnancy if it gets them off my back about the eye goop! thankfully my midwives don't have a problem with it but just in general I think it's a great option
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #87
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me, what classified Levi's birth as "traumatic" was the fact that he was posterior and asynclitic and was stuck for quite a while. I finally was able to get him under the pelvic bone and out he flew in 2 pushes. He has a severe cephalahematoma that didn't go away for nearly 4 months after delivery. That is what we decided on the VitK when originally we had planned not to get it.

You can see here how is head is "angled" - the hematoma is the large, swollen part on Levi's left side of his head.

Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!

Last edited by cinderella08; 06-12-2011 at 09:46 PM.
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote