Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any mama's in VERY walkable cities with a child(ren) who are not in strollers anymore

We might be making a move to Europe and if we do, we will live in a large city and not have a car.

What do you do when you go out and the weather is changeable? Do you carry a bag with all of the rain gear and such in it? Do you use something with wheels?

Also what are good walking around town rain boots? I know I have something that works well for me from when DH and I lived in Cambridge, MA but I don't know what is good for DS. What about snow boots for walkablity?

Looking for what works good for you. My son is going to be 3 in September if it matters and his stroller (not sure we will bring it with us there or not) is too small for him, however he is a GREAT walker with walking 2 miles or more right now with no complaints (in fact normally he complains if our walk isn't 2 miles! ).

Thank you for the help!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mama's in VERY walkable cities with a child(ren) who are not in strollers any

Maybe have him carry a small backpack and put rain gear, snacks or a change of clothes if the weather is forecast to have potential rain. I really like the outdoor adventure kids boating suit for rain and wet weather. That or a day pack you carry with you.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any mama's in VERY walkable cities with a child(ren) who are not in strollers any

Well my thought is that the weather is never likely to change *that* much. Like if it rains in the afternoon in the winter it, you still needed a coat in the morning because it was cold, right? So we just wear the same thing.

My kids have fleece lined rain coats for the fall/spring and then winter snow type coats that are waterproof too. A light fleece jacket underneath if needed.

If you like real rain gear, the MEC 'newt suits' are fabulous and fold up really small.

where might you be going?
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fleeces are your best friend. Warm but not too heavy, tend to keep kids dryish for at least a few minutes while you scramble to find cover. We lived in SF for a few years, but generally I took a stroller around, the weather was pretty changeable but most of the time cool and moderate (around 65-70 all year round). Very walkable, but things weatherwise could change quickly, but fortunately lots of shelter if you had to make a quick dash, on people's front steps, in shops etc. I would agree with getting something fleece-lined but waterproof that can be carried around in a backpack by the kids, as well as them carry their own water bottles.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

When we first arrived in England, I didn't drive for 6 months because we only had DH's truck which was a manual and did not have power steering. So I walked and used public transportation until we could afford to get a car I could drive. I didn't have kids then, but you can use some of things I did can be translated for your use.

-Backpack is great. I suggest getting a bag that has a hip and chest belt. If you do a lot of walking, these will help distribute the weight so your back and shoulders don't take all the strain.

-carried water bottles, snacks, money (in case I wanted to ride the bus instead of walking), reading material (for the wait), umbrella

- I agree with everyone else. A fleece is awesome. It dries superquick if it gets wet. A 3 in 1 jacket is great. On less cold days, you can wear the fleece inner and if it starts to rain, you can zip in the waterproof outer. The waterproof outer squashed down small in a backpack

- a lightweight hiking shoe is a lifesaver. It's light enough that you can do a lot of walking in them. The ones with Gortex in them allow your feet to breath and keep them waterproof. Then depending on where you live in Europe, if it snows a lot, I suggest getting a shoe that has Vibram outsoles. They will give you great traction on snow and ice. You can find hiking shoes with all of these
Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

When we loved in Germany we saw that trikes (with the handle) and little bikes were used a lot for kids instead of a stroller,even in the mall!
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

Right now it could be Spain or Switzerland. Though Sweden isn't completely out of the question, it is less likely at the moment though. Spain is in the lead at the moment I would say.

Does anyone have a brand name for children's shoes?

Everything I have been reading about a move over there says that the more you can get before your move here in the states the better. I do sew and wouldn't be against sewing DS clothes (or mine for that matter) but my sewing machine is computerized so I would need to get a new one. However I think my serger would work over there on a transformer. So while I wait, I figure I should figure out exactly what DS and I would need as far a clothes should we move. That way when word comes down I can get it and pay the VAT when we go. I will have MORE then enough to do when we get word that would likely fill the 2-3 months till we could actually move and I imagine most of the stuff I need to do, will be me doing it without DH. Oh and this would be a corporate move not military.

I have gortex pants for myself (need to check if these still fit post pregnancies), but I would need to get some for DS. I got him a Walmart snow suit last spring (clearance) that is 3 pcs (pants, outer coat, inner fleece coat that is perfect for carseat) and I made him a long poncho a couple of weeks ago (laminated fabric outer, flannel inner, snaps on side).

Much to think about! Thanks for your help!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Erinne
Registered Users

We are car-free in Portland, OR where it rains a lot. I would recommend Keens for both you and your son. The soles are pretty thick and hard, so if you want soft soles, they wouldn't be great, though. We actually find that the Robeez tredz keep dd's feet pretty dry. Anyway, going on an imaginary shopping spree for your family, I'd get these http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...r/austin/black
for your son and these
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...vd/golden%20mj
for you. The women's ones are pretty similar to the ones I have, and I love them. They go with everything and don't so, um, industrial, but they totally keep my feet dry and I can walk for miles in them comfortably.
As for the rest, I honestly would say to give it some time and decide what you need once you're there. When you live somewhere that's wet all the time, you kinda just get used to being wet. In Portland, everyone jokes that you can identify tourists by the umbrellas, the rest of us just get soaked.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Erinne
Registered Users

Oh, and a Timbuk2 bag and a Boba baby carrier. The bags are waterproof and the carrier is great just in case. I walk around with it just snapped around my waist all day, even though dd can usually walk.