Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
essnce629
Registered Users

Unhappy Oxyclean ruining my PUL covers???

Over the past 6+ months or so I've had about 6 covers ruined. They're not delaminating, but they feel completely different than my other PUL covers and they are leaking right through the PUL (DS will will be damp all over when I go to change him). It feels as though the PUL is wearing off-- it's still there, but the fabric seems much more soft and it's as though the PUL is much more porous. First it happened with 2 Thristies Duo Wrap covers, then my new Weehuggers cover, and now it's happening to 3 of my Econobum covers! I need to buy new covers now and I don't want it happening again.

My wash routine is cold prewash, hot wash, and 2 cold rinses. I use 7th Generation F & C detergent and usually some Oxyclean (which I've started using more in the last 6 months since moving into our new house with a top loader instead of a front loader). I have always dried everything together on high heat. In the 2 years of CD'ing my oldest son who is now 7, I never had this problem (and I also never used Oxyclean). I always dried all his diapers on high heat so I don't think it's from the dryer. I never would have even suspected the Oxyclean as the culprit till I read a similar story online.

I usually use about a 1/2 scoop of Oxyclean and let it soak in the hot wash for about an hour. It's the regular oxyclean, but the "free" kind without the blue dots. It's not the "baby" kind.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm down to just a few usuable covers now!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Oxyclean ruining my PUL covers???

I have been using Oxy for 3 years now on the same PUL pockets and have no problem. But I also don't let them sit in it to soak. Are the covers taht are having a problem a different brand than the rest? Maybe you can call the manyfacturer and get replacements?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
mlhmrsdds
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I use oxyclean in every load too with PUL pockets and covers, and no problems, but again no soaking here. I only use about 1.5-2 tablespoons in the load though, and that does the trick for stains and stink for us.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
essnce629
Registered Users

Maybe it's the soaking then. And I use about a 1/2 cup and we still have stains! And it's not just one brand of cover-- it's happened with 3 different brands. In fact, DS just woke up from nap and his clothes are all wet from soaking right through his cover! It's like instead of being a solid piece of PUL, it's like a spider web or mesh screen of PUL. You can see and feel the difference.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I've had issues with leaking diapers using both oxy type additives and with vinager however only when I've soaked in them.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote