Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Users

I have been CD'ing for over 9 months now & have yet to have a problem with my diapers smelling until now. I do a cold rinse, hot wash with a soak & a cold rinse, then another cold rinse. I use tide free & clear powder to about the one line & some oxiclean powder as well. For poop diapers I spray them & then put them in a tiny wet pail til wash day. I was washing every 2ndish day but now have found myself washing a little less often bc DS isn't using as many diapers a day. We also have started CD'ing through the night for about the past month. My diapers are just not smelling 100% clean. They smell of urine or poo or just dirty. Is it time I strip them? I use mostly natural fibers. If so how do I strip?

Young, Happy & Extremely Busy Mama to DS Keelan 4/24/10
CaylaEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
My Mood:
Re: Stripping...?!

For a strip wash, this is what we do:
- cold soak/rinse with 1/2-3/4 cup vinegar
- hot wash with full amount of detergent + squirt of Dawn + add boiling hot water
- cold/cold wash (I usually wash this on a smaller load setting to save some water)

On occasion, I have used bleach, but I really prefer not to. I think the goal in strip washing is to get the diapers washed in some sanitizing method (hot water, bleach, or whatever), and do something to get any lingering detergent residue out (that's why I use the Dawn, and extra rinses)
Mama to 2 munchkins, loving wife to P , who supports me in all I do.
Thirsties, Niji cotton, wool wrap, Imse Vimse
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Stripping...?!

Try doing a warm rinse, warm water will get out more than cold. I wouldn't go any longer than every other day between washes unless you rinse them out before putting them in the pail. You shouldn't have to strip natural fiber diapers, I would think it was an issue of them not getting really clean in the wash. I use SunOxy to soak my diapers in.
Wife to A mama to DS (96) DD (07), proud surro mom (10), & DD (12)
Missing my younger sister Ashley RIP 7/26/07 and our Booda RIP 5/3/09 everyday
NH's only dedicated cloth diaper retail store! All of our in stock diapers are prepped!
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote