View Poll Results: What would you do to maintain potty training?
Not allow DD to go over to GP's 9 60.00%
Talk to GP's more about potty training 4 26.67%
Other 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty training keeps getting reset by grandparents...WWYD?

My oldest is almost 2 1/2. At home, she uses the potty without a problem, both types of elimination. We will go a week without a single accident (she wears diapers to bed at night, but not at naptime) then she'll go spend a little time with her grandparents. I have told them a million and one times that you have to ask her about going to the bathroom, but for whatever reason, when they are out and about they never take her and she always has an accident. Then, she comes home and will pee on herself and start crying about it, whereas before she would go to the bathroom without prompting. When she first comes home, she'll start crying if you ask her if she has to go. I don't want to harp on it with them, because I already have so much and it's obvious they're annoyed. What would you do in my shoes?

I should add that I told them before that we would not be sending her over there anymore if this became a problem. She is more movement inclined, and she can climb and hold her balance better than four year olds I've seen, but she is not speaking that much. She does not say she has to potty, you have to ask her when you're out, or she will usually go to the bathroom on her own and potty.

Advertisement

Last edited by loveskitten; 06-14-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: additonal info
loveskitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Potty training keeps getting reset by grandparents...WWYD?

when we were potty training Parker I ran into this same problem, heck I have the same issue getting them to just change a diaper...I think it boils down to "they are out of practice" with all the little "details" of kids.

With Parker i would just send him in a good trainer (something mostly waterproof) or a pull-up and eventually he became very capable of asking for himself.

Also- depending on how long he was over there I would ask him as soon as we got there to go potty and as soon as I got there to pick him up I would ask again - MIL only watches him for a couple (maybe 4 hrs tops) at a time so it usually wasn't a big problem - and I always sent extra clothes - I still send extra clothes actually.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
bookworm
Registered Users

What about a little watch with an alarm as a reminder to your dd and the grandparents?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
NewCDerInCO
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Make good on your word. The next time they ask to have her, tell them that her potty regressions are too upsetting for her and she won't be visiting them without you for a while. If they are anything like my IL's, you have to prove that you mean what you say before they will take you seriously.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCDerInCO View Post
Make good on your word. The next time they ask to have her, tell them that her potty regressions are too upsetting for her and she won't be visiting them without you for a while. If they are anything like my IL's, you have to prove that you mean what you say before they will take you seriously.
This was my thought as well.

This is upsetting your daughter and making her feel confused and possibly embarrassed. It's not like you'd be keeping her away from them just to prove a point or something. What they are doing isn't good for her right now, and if they aren't willing to help you with the potty training (the alarm is a good suggestion, but only if they were to actually follow through) then they can wait to take care of her until she's old enough to tell them she has to go. It's unfortunate, but that's what I'd do with my kid. Supervised visits only!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

To me, I think it matters why she's going over there. Are they asking for her? Wanting to take her out with them for fun? Or are they "babysitting" because you have to work or go to school?

If they're taking her for fun, because they want to then I'd say cut it out and not allow her to go for a little while until PLing is really established. If she's going there because they're nice enough to watch her while you work, then I'd say cut them some slack.

Just my 2 cents.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

We had the same issues with my parents, but we live with them currently...talk about a pain! And confusion for my ods. So we gave up until we move in a couple weeks. It was purely out of lazyness on their part to ask him and take him. So if it were me and you really want her potty trained.. I'd say "either you help me or she can't come over".