Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Serious Problems with my 7yr old

Sounds like he might need some counseling to help him work through these feelings. Especially being highly intelligent, he might be having more complex thoughts and emotions than he is socially and emotionally ready to deal with. Good luck, and I hope you are able to find good help for DC!

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
zacharysma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter does the same things, aside from actually hurting her siblings, but she does not realize she does the things she does. She does take meds for ADHD and that has helped tremendously, I mean that. I was skeptical at first but medicated she is wonderful. Unmedicated she is the demon child from hell!

Her grades shoe visible improvement on days with medication as well. Best of luck to you but finding a therapist is a whole new ball of wax. We went to counselors for over 2 years and never did get ANYTHING out of it. Finding a good therapist is even harder, almost impossible but stick with it and don't take no for an answer.

Hugs to you.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #14
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana0923 View Post
Sounds like my nephew who has Asperger's and now they are thinking possible bipolar or possible schizophrenic. He has recently started stealing everything and the thing he takes the most is knives and he just started the whole I am going to cut you or kill you thing too. It is very scary and I don't know what they are going to do about it. I am praying for you and your son.

I was going to suggest Aspergers. I'm a teacher and have had several students with it.....it is very possible, going by the symptoms you've described.

Good luck with the names your friend gave you....((hugs)) to you and hoping you and your son can get back on track.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
twinsplus2more
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was thinking ADHD too! He needs to talk to someone!
twinsplus2more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #16
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

It also sounds to me like Asperger's...
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
Woah. mama....

I'd get him in to see a therapist ASAP. Aggression like that is NOT okay at any age, and the fact that he verbalized killing people when he gets older would be like getting hit by a big red truck. There is WAY more going on in his head that needs to be straighted out.
I agree. That is really really scary.

My niece has Aspergers and some of that DOES sounds really similar to her. You might ask about that.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

BIG hugs!!

First, borrow the two books "Love and Logic". The only one I have read is the "love and logic for teens" because my kid is 14. But, it is great for teaching you how to give him the responsibility for his actions.

Lots of AP parents don't like Love and Logic, but I was very AP, and I think it has some awsome ideas.

Second... I have been doing daycare for over 20 years, and I had a kid named Ricky. I thought Ricky was a blithering idiot, and thought his parents were too. They seemed to ignore the obvious problems this boy had. Finally, they got this wild kid into school where he failed miserably. (I knew he would, cuz he was such a dolt) But, for some unknown reason, his teacher had him tested for the "smart kids class". LMAO... silly people.

Ricky scored off the charts. Turns out he thought WE were blithering idiots, and had no time for stupid people.

Dad's job moved them across the US. They put Ricky in school there. But, he still wasn't managing. They found him a special school for "Freaks" (his word) and he flourished in a school that is just for him, and other kids like him. He is absolutley amazing!

If you ever get a chance to watch "Little Man Tate" (try netflix) watch it. It might help a little.

When I was in college, a professor told us that it is easier to have a child with learning disablilties than a child with a genius IQ. Those are the kids who don't fit in. They don't make friends easily. They don't think like most of us, they don't feel compassion. They don't suffer fools... Life is just harder for them.

You DEFINATLEY need more testing for him. But, you may need to work a lot harder to find him his place in this world. Everybody has a "thing". Soccer, dance, math, pets. Something. Maybe he's a band Geek in the making. I don't know. But, it is up to you and Dad to help him find it, and to help him learn to accept responsibility.

You have to discover how he learns. Then use that to teach him. But, he clearly doesn't learn the way the other 29 kids in his class learn. He's also very big, so kids (and adults)are very likely saying things that make him aware of his differences. Even if they don't mean to be cruel, but you can only hear "wow, you're big" so many times.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #19
saweetmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out www.feingold.org It might help. Feingold is an allergist that feels that additives, preservatives and food coloring hinder children's abilities to cope and handle stress, as well as to remain calm, causing them to freak out, get wild, uncontrollable, etc. Perhaps tuning his diet might help matters? Definitely work checking into *hugs*

Proud Army Wife & Mom to 6 glorious children

*Visit my parenting blog Crazy Adventures in Parenting* Ebay feedback BW feedback
saweetmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #20
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
BIG hugs!!

First, borrow the two books "Love and Logic". The only one I have read is the "love and logic for teens" because my kid is 14. But, it is great for teaching you how to give him the responsibility for his actions.

Lots of AP parents don't like Love and Logic, but I was very AP, and I think it has some awsome ideas.

Second... I have been doing daycare for over 20 years, and I had a kid named Ricky. I thought Ricky was a blithering idiot, and thought his parents were too. They seemed to ignore the obvious problems this boy had. Finally, they got this wild kid into school where he failed miserably. (I knew he would, cuz he was such a dolt) But, for some unknown reason, his teacher had him tested for the "smart kids class". LMAO... silly people.

Ricky scored off the charts. Turns out he thought WE were blithering idiots, and had no time for stupid people. This is what my son actually acts like, he will act like a complete dolt and then when we had him tested a lot of us were laughing about the scores, -he wasn't in the room, it was just adults, but we all described him the same way

Dad's job moved them across the US. They put Ricky in school there. But, he still wasn't managing. They found him a special school for "Freaks" (his word) and he flourished in a school that is just for him, and other kids like him. He is absolutley amazing! I keep wondering if I should find him a school that deals with children more like him, he only gets along with one other child in the whole grade level.... Because they both are extremely intelligent

If you ever get a chance to watch "Little Man Tate" (try netflix) watch it. It might help a little.
I will do this!
When I was in college, a professor told us that it is easier to have a child with learning disablilties than a child with a genius IQ. So very very true, they don't fit in, and have a very hard time making friends.Those are the kids who don't fit in. They don't make friends easily. They don't think like most of us, they don't feel compassion. They don't suffer fools... Life is just harder for them.

You DEFINATLEY need more testing for him. But, you may need to work a lot harder to find him his place in this world. Everybody has a "thing". Soccer, dance, math, pets. Something. Maybe he's a band Geek in the making. I don't know. But, it is up to you and Dad to help him find it, and to help him learn to accept responsibility.
Yes, we have gone through a ton of testing even at the local childrens hospital because when he was younger he really had symptoms of Aspbergers as so many have said, which it still sounds like it, but my neighbor just laughs (different psychologist) but she always says, he's a bill gates in the making, a very high functioning autistic child. - not that that even exists, but thats the best way to describe him
You have to discover how he learns. Then use that to teach him. But, he clearly doesn't learn the way the other 29 kids in his class learn. He's also very big, so kids (and adults)are very likely saying things that make him aware of his differences. Even if they don't mean to be cruel, but you can only hear "wow, you're big" so many times.
Yes, many adults when he was a year old thought he was incredibly slow because there are not that many 3ft tall 30lb 1 yr olds that aren't talking AT ALL and children that large usually answer questions like, what is your name? So his size has really hindered him, especially seeing him with his mama, 5ft2" tall and 100lbs, you would honestly think he was older. So I do need to take a lot more time these next few months and figure a lot more out about him, believe me I have tried many times, but I will try to get daddy to let me spend more alone time with just that one - usually dad wants the bigger kids because they aren't as much work if he is home and I go somewhere, things are going to have to change.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote