Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spent the afternoon in the ER! I am SO MAD!

glad she is doing better .. poor baby

Advertisement

crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaOtis View Post
Sorry I was typing fast and forgot to put a few bits of info in - I know Oyster sauce is common - which is why we asked before we gave it to her. Either the person who originally gave it to us didn't know or that particular location put far to much in. Either way It should have been posted. We checked and its state law here. The only reason we even considered getting a lawyer is because my friend who is a paralegal said it might be good just so they will post there ingrediants in the resteraunt - thats all I want. I would feel awful if it happened to someone elses child and we did nothing when we could have.

Thanks for your warm wishes. She is still very out of it - she has to on benedryl for the next 17 hours.. yay
ITA w/you.

I mean what if you hadn't noticed the rash b/c there was no need for a dipe change & you just put her in her carseat & drove home, assumed she was quiet b/c she fell asleep (like most kids do!). I'm not trying to be a downer here, but that could happen to another kid.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #13
Diaper Change
Time for a Diaper Change
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry that happened but I'm glad you were keeping such a close eye on her. What a good momma!
Diaper Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #14
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Skip the lawyer & contact the news media to do a report. They restaurant will most likely start posting the info & it won't cost you anything.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #15
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Poor little girl! That totally sucks. I've never seen any allergy info posted at any resturant that I've been to. My allergist just told me not to feed ds anything from chinese resturants.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #16
keelykellen&kiera
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

On their website?!?!?! Did you order your food from the website? LOL. Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. As PPs have said, I wouldn't think to check there either. And as Krystyna said, what if you didn't know what to watch for?

Last edited by keelykellen&kiera; 06-20-2007 at 01:00 AM.
keelykellen&kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, this is true of most resteraunts. The ingredients are on the website and aren't posted in the resteraunt...only "available upon request". Which is all they have to do by law in a resteraunt. My dd has numerous allergies to foods, and she can barely eat anything at any resteraunt. I've had to look them all up on their websites. Some don't even have them on the websites, but have you email them for the ingredients, which I have had to do. So we know what food are safe where, which is very few unfortunately. Sorry mama that you had to go through this, I've been there and it is frustrating and scarey.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #18
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaOtis View Post
So we went to lunch as a family to a resteraunt that we go to fairly often. We got alice what we normally get her. She always has some Chow Mein and the broccoli from my beef with brocolli. No we have been really careful when giving Alice food. Always let her try a little and watch her like a hawk. Alergies run on both of our sides, For instance dan is allergic to shelfish. So when we sat down to eat Dan tried some of Alice's brocolli after a minute. he made this face and announced that it tasted like Shrimp. I asked him if we needed to get him some benedryl and he said no, he will whatch it. No we have kept alice away from Shelfish for this reason. And, for this sake we always check for allergy warning and ask before giving her new food. So upon this announcment we watched her as she had already sucked the sauce out of most of her food. Dan went up to ask the manager about the shrimp taste where she told him that it has oyster sauce in it.. WHAT!!! That is not posted anywhere!! he asked her where it was posted and she directed him to there website... So Alice seems alright so far so i go to chane her diaper and clean her up before we leave.. I get her on the floor (because for some reason this place has no changing table) and see her legs look red. I figure its just the light as it was really bad in the bathroom. Take her outside where dan was and look again. her legs are red swollen and has a raised rash all over it. Crap. So we get her in the car and start heading to her Ped. We get on the freeway and notice the rash is getting worse and now she is rubbing her eyes and crying.. so we call her ped to alert her and head up tp primary children's hospital. By the time we get there her eyes are almost swollen shut, but the contact rash from where the sauce touched her is starting to fade. They give us some benedryl for her and it starts to go down. so know she is on benedryl every five hours and we have to go see an allergist in the morning.

I am so MAD, this place had no allergy information listed anywhere in the resteraunt. There was absolutly nothing. And her reaction got bad so fast that if we weren't paying attention and knew what to look for we would be in a much worse situation.

Sorry I had to vent. We are conteplating getting a lawyer, just so they will post allergy information. I really don't want this to happen to someone else.
You can report them to health services, I think they would be stricter than any lawyer could be. Just keep on them until it is clearly posted.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
VirginiaOtis
Registered Users

My Mood:

we went to take pictures today just so we have it on record that they were not posted the manager tried to accuse DH of trying to steal there secrets They are a big chain so I guess it happens quite often.
When DH called them last night to get the name of the manager it was her who answered and when he asked for the name she snapped 'are you the one with the shrimp sauce?' so apperently the incident is sticking with her.

The alergist today said that based on her reaction that she is going to need an epipen better safe than sorry.

But on a lighter note. My ped fell in love with dd's little cloth diaper and now she wants to switch
Old 06-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by themom View Post
Just so you know in the future, oyster sauce is a VERY common ingredient in Chinese food. It is in every beef and broccoli dish that I have ever had and in most of the chicken dishes as well. I don't think you'll get too far with a lawyer. If you have allergies that severe, you need to always ask first. I'm sorry this happened. So scary!!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote