Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
MamaCarina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Starting a workout routine

So my last two pregnancies I started out at a normal, healthy weight and gained 75 lbs each time which I lost quickly after. Now I am overweight to start and I do not want to gain that much weight this time. So I am thinking of joining a gym that has childcare so that I do not have an excuse for not exercising. What kind of workouts do you ladies do? What exercise shouldn't you do while pregnant?

Advertisement

MamaCarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pilaties and yoga are great! So is walking or elliptical just don't over do it working out actually helps make your delivery easier! Good luck! Ooh check and see if you have a local destination maternity store. They offer free prenatal yoga
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Also one of the mamas on here mentioned she picked up a three disk set that has workouts for each trimester and a post pardum boot camp!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Re: Starting a workout routine

I had just started working out to get my rid of my baby weight (DS is 9 months) and I was running/walking on the treadmill and then walking about 2-3 miles a day plus using resistance bands (love them) I'm hoping to keep up with that.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
taralynnel
Registered Users
seller

Location: Monterey, CA (where ever the Marine Corps takes me)
My Mood:

i've been working out pretty hard for the past year or so. i got to a workout class several days a week and meet with a friend/trainer on the other days. i'd ask your doctor. don't overdue it if you haven't been working out.
this is my first pregnancy that i'm working out, so i'm a little nervous. my friend/trainer says i don't have to modify anything until the end (abs) and to just listen to my body.

good luck! i'm definitely the heaviest i've been when getting pg i've gotten to the same weight with every pregnancy though (no matter what i was when i started), so i think i'm just destined to deliver at that weight!
Tara, lovin' wife to a United States Marine (Ray), and mommy to the E's: Emeline 9.23.03, Everett 6.29.05 & Elianna 3.20.08, missing my baby in heaven 7/11, my rainbows are here! Easton & Evangeline 10.22.12
taralynnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want something you can do at home, I HIGHLY recommend Erin O'Brien's prenatal DVD. It comes in a set with a post-natal DVD too, if you want. I used it for this last pregnancy, and I felt GREAT! Much less aching, hip pain, sciatic trouble, etc. I slept better, had way more energy, and had a much easier labour and delivery. (1-10 cm in 3hr, breathing through contractions, no pain meds, home birth.) This was baby #5 for me, and #4 and 5 are only 13 months apart, so I figured I had to do something! And it was my best pregnancy of them all. Really. I was not an exerciser before, but I'm a total convert. Since having baby 9 months ago, I've lost 20 lb over my previous "normal" and am in better shape than I've ever been in my life.
Its the best thing you can do for yourself! Go for it!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm the one that bought the pregnancy DVD set!

There is a first tri, second tri, 3rd tri and then post natal bootcamp that is a 12 week program that gets progressively harder!

I got it at target!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
CharlottesMom09
Registered Users
seller

I do lots of aerobic walking and yoga. From what I was told last time, anything low-impact is great as long as you don't let your heart rate get too high and don't overdo anything.

That DVD set sounds awesome, makes me really wish we had a Target nearby!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm also the heaviest I've ever been pre-pregnancy. I was 148 with dd1, 141 with dd2, and 150 this time. However, I've been busting my tail since January to lose the 27 pounds I had hanging on. I was 199 when I walked in the hospital with dd2. Anyway, I've been running, doing Zumba, yoga, and stuff like that. I will continue to do all of those things, but will listen to my body. I am determined to exercise several times a week now that we have a Y membership with child care.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote