Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
please tell me it gets easier!

I'm on day 2 of what I think might be a growth spurt but I don't know. I just feel like all I have done the past 2 days is nurse, nurse, nurse. It's like I forgot how to read baby's cues or something. I haven't been able to figure him out. So, when all else fails, just nurse him, right?

I only nursed my 2 older ones until about 4.5-5 months, and even then, the last 2 months or so of that, they got at least 2 bottles a day and eventually got more and more until they self weaned. This baby has had ONE bottle. I regretted how short I EBF by first 2 so I have VOWED to EBF this one the full year (or more).

But as I just got up from a 1.5 hr nursing session I wonder how I'll make it? Thankfully it's been great and no supply issues, latch issues or anything like that. I am amazed at the mommas who persevere through all of that. So, it's not that I am thinking of switching to bottles or anything, but I guess some days (like today) the thoughts of remembering back to my others once they were on bottles sort of creeps in. Yes, it's a pain to have to remember to take bottles and formula everywhere, but I enjoyed being able to be away for a day if I wanted to. I have to admit that once they were on formula full time, there was hardly any guess work to their feedings. I feel like I never know if DS is really hungry, wants to comfort nurse or what. The diaper is the only thing that doesn't take guess work!

I feel like I am so consumed with taking care of ds3, that my other 2 have been neglect of my attention. They do well to play together really well, which helps me, but they don't get as much cuddle time. I try to sit and read to them while I nurse, but the baby ends up fussing or kicking around, making it hard to hold a book or turn pages. Then, they kind of just get up and run off anyway.

I love nursing ds but I guess some days I wish I didn't feel so tied to the nursing chair and so overwhelmed by all the things I can't get done because all I'm doing is nursing.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
NewCDerInCO
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: please tell me it gets easier!

Oh yeah Mama. You are in prime 3-month growth spurt time. If you're on day 2, it's probably almost over hang in there!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gosh, it feels like we just went through this a couple of weeks ago! Whew! It's just hard because he's so attached to me. DH tries to help by holding him so I can shower or play with the others but he just ends up screaming until I take him back and hold him. This is ALL the time, not just growth spurt time!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
NewCDerInCO
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My sympathies!!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! I feel bad that ds "doesn't like" DH (his words!). He believes he would like him better if I let him give him a bottle more frequently.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Thanks! I feel bad that ds "doesn't like" DH (his words!). He believes he would like him better if I let him give him a bottle more frequently.
Probably not. It might just be that DH gives up to quickly or in my DH's case, doesn't hold him the right way. Yaya wants to be up right and he wanted to hold her cradled in his arms. Once he figured that out she was happier to be held by him (and our ODD).

I'm sorry you are dealing with all of this. Its frustrating. BUT soooo worth it.

And oh crap there is a growth spurt at 3 months... Yaya is 3 months on Tuesday (where did time go?) so I have that to look forward to soon.

ETA My DH thought our MDD didn't like him for the first 6 months.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, ds likes to be up. He loves to stand in my lap while I hold him. Dh tries to cram the paci in his mouth as soon as he starts fussing, and it's usually the cradle hold. I've caught him staring at the TV while holding ds with the paci in his mouth, ds screaming. I want to yell "HELLOOOOO!!!! He HATES what you are doing! Pay attention to your SON, not the TV!" But usually, I gently say, "I don't think he's liking the paci right now", or "he really likes to be held upright." The one bottle I did let him give him was a test to see if he would take one while I tried to go out this weekend. He took it great and DH says that's the only time he's held him and he didn't cry. He said ds looked up at him, would smile and seem content. So, I guess that's where he thinks a regular bottle would "help" their relationship. I just don't want to go down the same road as my first 2. I would pump when they got a bottle, but pumping isn't the same, and they would get frustrated at having to work harder at the breast so they fussed and fussed until I gave them a bottle. So it's sort of a double edge for me. I want to intentionally not give him bottles, but at the same time I can see how at times I'll feel the "lack of freedom" will get old....especially by the time a year rolls around!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Naturally Wise
Registered Users
Formerly: kickboxkay
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a wrap or carrier? It might be worth it for you guys to learn how to nurse while being worn. Then he gets to nurse, and you get your hands free to do something else. And yes....it does get easier. :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have an ergo that I use a lot but I haven't nursed him in it. I have a ring sling and tried that but he squirmed and fussed the whole time. I never could figure it out. I'm glad to hear it gets easier! Babies sure are a lot of work...but totally worth it all!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

It does get easier, Mama! Hang in there! I've finally gotten to the point where I try to talk myself down when I get stressed about some particular thing that is going on at the time. Whatever it is only lasts for a short time and almost before I can really get stressed it changes. Before you know it, he'll be one! It goes by so fast. Try to relax, enjoy the moments you can and know that the stressful ones will pass.

Just one day at a time.