Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
I just recently finished my phd in anthropology. When I started I was a single mom with a three yo. I met dh my first year and -whoops- had dd2 in December of my second year (thankfully over the semester break!) I had dd3 a year ago and defended this past December.

For me, writing the dissertation was a completely different kind of discipline and the hardest thing I've done. The lack of structure that open ended just get it done aspect killed me. Finally I ended up taking a semester off working and we spent almost all our savings (wasn't much to begin with) to pay for 3hrs a day of childcare. In a way I think the financial hardship and the babysitter helped - I was PAYing for those 3 hrs and wasn't going to waste em on surfing (or DS!)

Anyways... It's not easy. Keep chugging! A writers group is super useful. Also making some deadlines with your advisor. GL!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Jamie, anthropologist mom to O (12-18-99), E (12-30-04) and R (4-22-10) Married to my best friend .
jamieism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: Any moms work and go to school?

I work FT in HR, am a mom to a (almost) 21 month old and I go to school. Luckily, I go to school online so I don't have to be out of the house - but the discipline I need to focus my time appropriately is really hard. I'm always tired, I can relate to everyone here. I'm thinking of TTC #2 in December (so they are 3y apart) - but can't fathom paying for childcare for two and adding that much more work to my already packed day.
LorettaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Registered Users
I am planning on TTC #2 in November. That way even if I got my BFP right away DD#1 would be about to start school when the baby came. We can't afford daycare for two. My hope is also that my data will be collected for my dissertation by the time DC#2 is born so I can write chapters 4, 5, & 6 while on Maternity leave. It will be crazy but I think it can be done. I did my comprehensive exams with hyperemesis and a gallstone so anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Alanna is Mama to DD Sequoia (8/8/07), DS Callum (12/12/12) DKitties Syd & Emily (4/4/03)
psylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

i work and am applying to a post bac or master's program. i'm scared that i'm going to never sleep and become an awful parent. being a single parent is plenty hard and i think i'm only just getting the hang of working & parenting & a couple EASY classes. i don't know how i'm going to handle everything once i get into a program.

i also worked & went to school during the lower division of my bs and that wasn't so hard, but i was younger and didn't have kids yet.
struggling & laughing single mama to two crazy kids seeing sunny days ahead

IHA carriers & diaper covers

Last edited by mamamaria; 06-03-2011 at 02:57 PM.
mamamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

I came here to ask the samething. I am going back in the fall for bsn then np. My poor dhs bidy cannot take it any longer.andour hc in our rural town are almost dine and setting one helluva example for the rest of us and your kiddies!! Push on! And then encourage me,
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Registered Users

I was working full time 40+ a week, going to school full time, in the military reserves, and have a 5 year old and a preemie. Yea, life wasn't so great for awhile!
Mama to Chloe 6/05 and our special preemie Trey 3/11...after 12 years TTC - severe PCOS, clomid = no go, IVF drug protocol and TI got us our 2nd little infertility miracle!...trying CD and just figured out that I can't stop buying cute dipes...
Waiting on approval to be a seller....then I can unload some of the HUGE stash!
brown_eyedgal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Registered Users

I work full time and I am going to finish up my Masters in Computer Science with one more class in the Fall. I took a break for my 3rd trimester and for the first few months of being a new parent. I can't imagine how hard it must be to work FT and go to school FT. It must be impossible to find any time for yourself.
blinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

This will be me in Sept. I applied to a PhD program last Spring thinking I would do as much as I could before I had my first...turns out I got preggo in May (had DD in Feb). I started the program last Summer and took off this Spring and Summer. I'm tottally freaking out b/c my Masters was tough. I actually spoke with another mom/working/PhD student at this conference I went to over memorial day weekend and we were talking about starting a support group. It's going to be tough, but it is possible. The best piece of advice I've gotten on this is to 'be in the moment' during everything you do. It may be hard (it's going to be tough not thinking..'I wonder what DD is doing' during class), but as I've gone back to work I'm trying to put this philosophy into practice and I think it's helping. We'll see what happens when September comes around.

Super moms!
Ccubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Registered Users

I work 44 hrs a week (30 hrs of which are overnights) and go to school full time for engineering & have a 14 month old son. My last 2 semesters I managed to go to school only on tues & thurs but it was ALL day, but now that my classes are more limited and are only offered a few times I have to go mon-fri. Im so happy it is summer & almost took summer classes but realized I need this extra time with my son and to catch up on rest since in the fall I will be soo busy again. It stinks having to do hw while he is napping & once he is in bed. I try to make sundays my day where I don't do any school work & I don't work sundays. Next semester is going to be very hard on me & sometimes I want to put school off till he is in school, but I no I need to just get it over with because in the end it will be worth it. But for now it is just ughhhhhhhhhhhh!
Young, Happy & Extremely Busy Mama to DS Keelan 4/24/10
CaylaEP is offline   Reply With Quote