Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
I tried an experiment on my daycare kids this week...

I was looking for ways to help my (older) daycare kids learn alphabet and numbers.

I found this video. It claims you can teach them the alphabet in one weekend. (or something like that)

It was cheap.. I think I paid about $4.

I put it on Monday and Tuesday, for about 2 hours each time. (it just keeps replaying over and over and over)

It's the most boring, mind numbing video I've ever seen in my life. It's WAY too young for preschoolers. It surely can't be meant to sit and watch it.. it's great for background noise. But, not for watching.

Anyway... sure enough.. even the 12 month olds learned a few letters by the second day. They all picked up on the letter Tt.

I can't for the life of me understand WHY a 12 month old needs to learn letters, and I doubt they will retain the information. But, it does work.

escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I tried an experiment on my daycare kids this week...

I have to agree on both points - it is awfully boring and repetitive for an adult and yes, my almost 3 year old now knows all letters, numbers and shapes thanks to their DVDs. And not just sing song letters, but he really recognizes them and attempts to read...
who likes to , love to with wonderful and
My Etsy:
konmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I did that with the Muzzy BBC videos one summer. I played the video during lunchtime every day. By the end of the summer, the darn buggers knew Spanish! And I mean spontaneous conversation spanish!! How odd. I still didn't know what the darn story was about after 3 months, but the kids not only knew the storyline, they also used the words correctly in real world situations.
I guess they pay attention more to interactions related to verbal words, whereas we just focus on words as adults. The way they learn early language is still fresh. We adults suck at it!
Bye bye.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I tried everything to get my dd to learn her ABC's but she is very stubborn so I finally gave in and bought the Leap Frog Letter Factory dvd and she knew them all and the sounds they make in less than a week. My younger dd started watching the videos with her too and now at 2 1/2 knows all her letters and sounds. She will point them out in signs all the time when we are running erands. My grandma sent us the Your Baby Can Read volume 1 dvd and that was horrible. I know it's made for little kids but my oldest was only 3 and after 2 minutes asked if she could turn it off and she never misses a chance to watch TV no matter what it is.
Tara SAHM to L 5/07 H 1/09 C 2/12

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

I've been using the "meet the sight words" set with DS and he LOVES them. I think the visual way they teach the words is great. DS picked up all kinds of words just buy watching those.
-Kate SAHM to John 12/31/07, Grace 10/15/09, Jack ^i^ 5/18/12 , and Jane 5/14/13
myblessedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote