Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Gah! Biting

My twins are 14 months old now and for the past month, Samuel has been biting David almost everyday. It's usually once a day and it's so hard that he leaves a bite mark that last for about a week and poor David screams and cries.

Samuel seems to always bite when he knows I'm not looking- like when I'm in the bathroom or doing dishes.

I've tried telling him "no" and doing a light swat on his diapered bum. But he just laughs. I swear I'm not smiling or using a wishy wash voice- I use a stern face and voice.

It seems like Samuel bites David when he wants something that David has- a toy, a snack, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on getting the biting to stop?

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Re: Gah! Biting

Get the book "No More Biting" I used it with my pre-school class when I taught.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

Get a bunch of teethers. We like the Nuk ring and the Nuby one with the fingers/hand. They are probably teething/discomfort and trying to relieve some of the discomfort. Also, our dentist said to do raw carrots.

Swatting isn't going to get you far except for them doing it back as they don't have the logic or reason to understand why you are doing it.

Also, you could do a modified time out in a PNP (we like to keep the crib for sleeping/downtime only).

At that age, the laughing is NORMAL. It went in cycles for us.

I'd also try to seperate the boys and have one with you in the kitchen (high chair or something else).
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Swatting isn't going to get you far except for them doing it back as they don't have the logic or reason to understand why you are doing it.
I know this isn't about spanking but we used to "spank" dd1 but soon realized she was hitting us and how can you hit them because you don't want them to hit us? doesn't make sense so that never worked for us. But our kids sometimes do bit eachother. At this age it's re-direction. Find something else for him to do. Get a teether too. A frozen piece of fruit he can chew on. We try to avoid saying "no" as often as we can because if we say no all the time it kinda becomes another word and it goes in one ear and out the other. Obviously we do say no but we reserve it for other things
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At that age there isn't alot you can do because they don't really understand discipline. I would focus on redirection as much as possible. My DS bites too but he's older so he gets a time out and sometimes a swat on the butt if I've already given him repeated timeouts for biting. Or I tell him to bite himself instead, then when he says it hurts I tell him "that's why we don't bite people".

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
tylelia
Registered Users
seller

Only empathy, no advice from me. My son was a biter around that age. I was a nanny for a family who's son was about 3 months younger than mine and that poor child got bitten so many times. I am so thankful the family was understanding (one of their older daughters bit). Unfortunately, he just had to grow out of it, keeping them apart when I was more than an arm's reach away was the ONLY way to stop it, I honestly tried everything I heard of or read. It was a very exhausting few months. It's such an impulsive thing, and teaching a toddler impulse control is... well, difficult. Good luck.
tylelia is offline   Reply With Quote