Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Umbilical cord?

Dd's umbilical cord fell off last night in the middle of the night. She is 3 weeks old tomorrow. My question is... In the back of her belly button is a little white spot that still looks kinda like cord. It's small and flat just kinda like that little spot needs to close up. Should I still not give her a bath? It's really hard to see it's really deep in there...

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Umbilical cord?

My doc said the no bath thing wasn't really recommended anymore. I gave DS baths before his cord fell off, but I never filled the tub (infant tub) to cover his belly button. Just filled it so his bottom was covered and used a cloth to wet the rest of him. I avoided his belly button area until well after it was healed even though doc said I didn't have to. I tend to be a bit more cautious then needed, but If you think it still needs to be healed treat it as if the cord hasn't fallen off. If your doc has a nurse or question line try calling it. They should be able to tell you without having to pay for an appointment.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD's belly button did the exact same thing. I was kind of concerned but eventually just decided not to worry about it and sure enough it healed right up. I started giving her baths pretty soon after it fell off, but I still tried not to get a lot of water in there.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're fine to give her a bath. I swear DSs belly button didn't fully heal until he was 3 months! He always had this little scab way down deep that just didn't go away but we bathed him and just tried to keep it dry the rest of the time. I used a q-tip to wick away the moisture left after bath time.
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote