Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
family_o_gingers
Registered Users

My Mood:
Military Moms

Are there any other moms in the military out there? I am currently active duty and stationed in Hawaii. Mother of one DD and expecting DD#2 on Aug 23rd I was just trying to find more moms that are experiencing the same kind of environment as I am with the military hospitals, chain of command, and demands of being a parent all rolled in one! (Plus I would MUCH rather be a SAHM but due to my contract am stuck for another 20 months still)

Advertisement

family_o_gingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Military Moms

I'm a military mom too. There is at least one more on here. Have you gone to the military families forum?

I am trying to talk dh into letting me SAH if we have a second; he's more interested in paying off the mortgage in three years. I don't think I could do it again with another child already to take care of....we'll see what happens.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
family_o_gingers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't been to that forum yet. I'll have to check it out!

I'm definitely not looking forward to working and having two little ones. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. Although, dh is going to be quitting his job in August (either right before or right after the new one is born) because he will have to start going to school full time during the day. He's almost finished with his degree and his classes are starting to be really limited in the schedule. I'm not looking forward to losing that income but at least I know we are covered if anything happens. One good thing about being in the military is the resources and places you can go to for help.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not AD anymore but I was. I got out not to long before I had my DS. I didn't want to be mil-to-mil with a baby (even though I know plenty who are and manage to make it work) because I couldn't leave my baby with someone else if we had to deploy at the same time. It's hard for a child to have one parent in the military let alone both. My DH still is AD and now I am a civilian for the AF. I know how you feel though. It is tough.
What branch are y'all in? We are AF.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
family_o_gingers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am AD Navy...my DH was AD Navy but got out right after our first DD was born. We don't have to worry about leaving DD with someone else if we both deploy since he is out but I still strongly dislike having to leave her at daycare everyday as we both work full time...
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
octoberblush
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just finished service (AD Army)in February! I just couldn't justify continuing since if I stayed in I was guaranteed to deploy when my husband did. I certainly miss it though. I do not miss being pregnant and in the military. That was .
ISO- the remote. Always the dang remote.
octoberblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
family_o_gingers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know I'm going to miss being on a ship and doing deployments...but just can't fathom being separated from my girls. I'll be done in about 20 months and can't wait! Yea, being pregnant and in the military is the worst! I think the worse part is not being able to go outside of the military hospital for my ob/midwife or whatever I choose...Like, I'd love to go to a birthing center instead of a hospital, but I'm stuck LOL...oh well...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
K-Murph
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
seller

My Mood:

I'll be going on my first deployment in less than a month. DH just left about a month ago. Since we're on different brigades, we'll be pretty far away from each other. Both of us AD Army.
K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I was in 8 years, and got out 2 years ago... I'm actually thinking of getting back in... I'm crazy... But I miss it, and the structure, and just getting to travel and see new things... My DH won't get in again if I were to. He served 6 years.
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
octoberblush
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_o_gingers View Post
I know I'm going to miss being on a ship and doing deployments...but just can't fathom being separated from my girls. I'll be done in about 20 months and can't wait! Yea, being pregnant and in the military is the worst! I think the worse part is not being able to go outside of the military hospital for my ob/midwife or whatever I choose...Like, I'd love to go to a birthing center instead of a hospital, but I'm stuck LOL...oh well...
Yeah, I had a chain of command that pretty much treated me like dirt once I got pregnant. But I had friends who were pregnant who had commands that were flexible with them and they had a much better time. So hopefully you have a flexible one!

I know how you feel about the deployment aspect. I really feel for mamas like K-Murph that have to leave their little ones. DH and I have/had a MOS that deploys/ed every 6 months. There really was no feasible way in our family for me to stay in and raise a baby. DH is going to be a lifer so I will never be far away from everything, lol. Transition to an Army wife has been tough for me though... I still haven't put up my uniform from where it usually lays. And my boots are still by my bed.

I actually enjoyed my hospital/birthing experience. It wasn't all shiny and homebirthy... ...but the doctors and the hospital were really great.
ISO- the remote. Always the dang remote.
octoberblush is offline   Reply With Quote